Sign in to follow this  
mike_belben

NPR says Dill is in a sticky situation

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/02/12/584528440/climate-change-could-mean-less-maple-syrup-for-your-pancakes

LoL.  These people are crazy.  

I cut red maple last winter in my yard.  The stump shoots are up to 9 foot tall this year.  Some of the sourwood is 12ft. Growing like wildfire.  Only thing gonna kill our forests in asian imported beetles and subdivisions.

Fawk maple syrup.  I read a story about a possible tequila shortage this morning.

The Maple Syrup org in Quebec is undoubtedly salivating over the possible growth in value of their strategic maple syrup reserve.

Yup, so does Cornell, UVM, and the Quebec Maple Assocation, but what do they know. I'm tapping right now. You know when people tapped here in the 50/60s? Town meeting day. That's in March.

Sugar content is also way down. I'm barely cracking 2%.

But clearly experts are always wrong right?

So, Dill your telling me that in the hundreds of years of maple sugaring, no one ever started tapping in February? Seasons change, especially coming out of an ice age and going into one. but the change doesn't happen over night, but it does happen, its unavoidable and sometimes fluctuations happen. These fluctuation can take years or decades. Believe me or don't it doesn't matter, one things for sure, the evidence is in the layers of rock found all over the world.

On a personal note, I find it completely irrational to think that "we" have changed the climate in just 125 years of industrialization. It's also complete lunacy to think that this EXACT climate scenario has NEVER played out in the past 200,000 years that modern man has been around let alone when the planet was inhabitable 300-400 million years ago. We are by far the most intelligent and most stupid species on this rock...

Friends of mine in Loudon their family has been sugaring on the same farm since 1790. The first  times they made syrup in Jan were last 3 years including this year.

meh, our records show at least three years in the 80s where we tapped in january.  and, two out of the last three years, my first boil happened in april.

228 years is a second in comparison to 300 million years. Or 200,000 years in fact. Sorry, but you just can not convince me that we are responsible for climate change, it changes on its own schedule, not ours.

Edited by Rooster

It changes mostly in response to the sun and impacts to the earth and volcanic activity. Like if Yellowstone finally blows it may be an extinction event.

Theres some pretty good charting that shows direct correlation of solar activity heating ocean, ocean warming up over a period of years and ocean giving off increased CO2.  

Anyone who ever tried growing weed in the closet can tell ya that you cant get enough co2 in there.  Its pretty hard for me to be taught co2 was a building block of life throughout my school years and experience it myself in the growroom, then find out later what i was taught and witnessed werent really happening.  Guess i imagined it.  

When does go into estrus and when bucks rut varies every year.  The acorn yield varies every year.  Cut a tree down and look at various growth rates in the rings.  Is that all climate change too?  

Kelly's family found diarys going back to early 1700,s they talk about early maple seasons and some late.  mostly they talk about chasing girls.  so I don't think that much has changed.

I am sure things are different from 10,20,30 years ago. I don't think we have much to do with it.