Sign in to follow this  
CJKarl

Muddy Monday

13 hours ago, TJ said:

It was quite a horror show the owner though he was on the city sewer, the contractor said he saw a site plan and there was no septic, and I said but there is something there! AND EVERYONE SAID, do it, so I did :driving:The home owner had the city(Greenwitch) come and explain why for the last 20 years they've been breaking his balls over water usage having to do with the sewers and telling him he was hooked up to the sewers and why the health department had no records of the hookup to the city system and no records to do with the tank and field.  The city ended up hooking him up and there was no backlash toward me, the contractor told me later that the home owner was worried more about tea time(high ball time he had to fly to the summer house to enjoy it) then the smelly hole in the yard, they were living in their place at the Hamptons while the renovations were underway. 

Why does a guy like that want a grapple load of wood?

26 minutes ago, calvynandhobbs said:

I've got a 120 ft tulip poplar that is marked to be taken down because it's starting to crack at the bottom. Just waiting on my guy to secure a climber since his bucket truck isn't enough to take it down. I'm not burning a single stick of that thing. I have enough issues with creosote in my wood boiler. My neighbor said I can put it in his back yard since he's using dead trees and fill to triple the size of his yard. He'll push it into place with the D6 in his back yard.

Did the same for a customer.  Retaining wall of dead trees. Backfill with process. 

Tulip poplar is one of the oddest smelling tree's I've ever smelled. There was a huge one that went down in that fall wind storm. Tree service buddy dropped a load of chips from just that tree off. Every time I bedded the barn with them Id go back in the barn and think my god what is that smell. I mean it overpowered cow turd.

10 hours ago, Juiceman said:

Why does a guy like that want a grapple load of wood?

I was picking up 4,000 bf of white ash, tulip poplar and hard maple mostly clear large diameter logs.

I've heard it for years as a "grapple load of wood" which is a log truck load with a grapple I guess.

I was just busting, you don't have to go very far to have a change in local slang about a lot of things.Most of the locals down here call it a tri-axle load of firewood.

Logging, sugaring and fishing seem to have the most localized slang terms in New England

Just now, Dill said:

Logging, sugaring and fishing seem to have the most localized slang terms in New England

Agree completely 

Truckload, that’s what we call it around here. If it was in a pickup sized truck it’d be called a cord which varies from 2/3’s to 1-1/4 cord.