tripm

Tow Dolly and wheelbase

I'm thinking about towing my truck (rover, 3500-4000 lb) using a tow dolly and an FJCruiser. Wheelbase on the FJ is 105. 

Wondering if the FJ short wheelbase will give me any issues. Anyone use a tow dolly with something that short before?

I've towed ~7500lbs with the FJ before and frankly that was frightening. 

Just asking before I search for a rental place for one. 

Thanks,

Mark

I towed a 7k lb car trailer behind a Jeep Grand Cherokee from NH to Moab, UT and back.... WK has has a similar wheel base.... Didn't think it was that bad, but I had brakes on the trailer axles and a weight distributing hitch also.

2 minutes ago, Jon W said:

I towed a 7k lb car trailer behind a Jeep Grand Cherokee from NH to Moab, UT and back.... WK has has a similar wheel base.... Didn't think it was that bad, but I had brakes on the trailer axles and a weight distributing hitch also.

I gotta wonder which would wag the dog more, trailer or tow dolly when pushing the limits of the tow vehicle. What's the FJ rated for and what's it weigh?

7 minutes ago, wetskier2000 said:

I gotta wonder which would wag the dog more, trailer or tow dolly when pushing the limits of the tow vehicle. What's the FJ rated for and what's it weigh?

My $ would be on the dolly... Properly setup with a weight distributing hitch I didn't find the trailer really pushed the WK around too much in corners. WK weight is ~5500 lbs, plus another 600+ lbs of passengers, tools, spare parts, luggage, etc... Trailer was loaded with a lifted XJ and lots of spares, so it probably came in just over 7k.

OTOH, when I was crossing the continental divide in Colorado and had the trailer pushing me down hill through the mountains on the interstate in a light snow storm there were a number of moments when I wondered if I would need to change underwear once we got to the bottom (I was OK though).

Edited by Jon W

13 minutes ago, wetskier2000 said:

FJ is 4300, Tow Capacity 4700

I'm about 95% certain the front wheels came off the ground over the 293 bridge on 101. High wind, bouncing over a frost heave. That was a quickie tow about 1 hr with a junk rover. Had to get it out of there and with 4 flats I couldn't really get the weight balanced on the trailer correctly. 

If the towed vehicle is 4000 lbs, I suspect a tow dolly is several hundy then you're pushing that 4700 number. My next thought is: How far and how fast? Backroads under 40MPH and < 40 or 50 miles? Maybe. Highway travel or long distances, I'd look for other solutions. Do tow dollys have brakes?

It's 3 hrs. 

I did it 2 years ago with heepjeeps trailer I think that trailer weighed 2k + the 3800 truck. I was down to 40mph on some of the hills on 95 in Maine. That trailer didn't have brakes or at least ones that were hooked up. 

UHaul Dolly Specs, but couldn't confirm if they have surge brakes on them or not.

Capacity

• Max Load: 3,900 lbs. when towing a rear-wheel drive vehicle.
  • Empty weight: 750 lbs

your going to kill a bus load of nuns

in all honesty, I'd think towing it will be fine, stopping it is where I'd be worried

The uhaul tow dolly has surge brakes. Master cylinder mounted on the tongue.

I pulled a VW westfalia from Knoxville to CT with my 1998 XJ. Luckily it was interstate the intire way. Never went over 50. I didn’t know until we got there that they weighed 4500 lbs. We weren’t coming back without it.

978DB703-F971-4575-BFC5-FEA3D6CD4657.jpeg

6 minutes ago, FrankTheDog said:

The uhaul tow dolly has surge brakes. Master cylinder mounted on the tongue.

I pulled a VW westfalia from Knoxville to CT with my 1998 XJ. Luckily it was interstate the intire way. Never went over 50. I didn’t know until we got there that they weighed 4500 lbs. We weren’t coming back without it.

978DB703-F971-4575-BFC5-FEA3D6CD4657.jpeg

You shoulda taken those roof racks off the VW, would have been more aerodynamic. 

I was glad I had load range E tires and 4.10 gears.

When we went to Uhaul they laughed at me and said you cant tow with that you’ll have to use something else.

Ok. So I got on my iPhone 1 and found another uhaul dealer that had a dolly and when he asked what we were towing I told him a 1981 VW Rabbit.

Good to go.

Edited by FrankTheDog

I towed Toyworks 350 Dodge Cummins to Burlington with my F350 with a Uhaul dolly with no brakes. I think both rigs weighed about the same and had no wagging at speed I was amazed the tires lived but it all went well. Don't you know anyone with a proper tow rig that you could bribe with secks or a steak dinner to make the trip?