JDogg

*free* hot tub tech talk

so the wifey wants a hot tub. I am not really down to drop $2k on a new one.

I see them all over craigslist/FBmarketplace for free. most say they won't heat or pump.

What are the pros and cons of getting a free hot tub and fixing the needed parts? worth it to fix them or are they junk items? any brand better than the other? 

I have a nice car trailer and can move it easy enough, just wondering if the neow collective has thoughts on the issue. or would or wouldn't recommend it.

usually, the heat pump problem is related to the small circulator pump for the heating circuit.  the heating element itself is fine, but the impeller in the small pump "crystallizes" with the water salts if the hot tub is "off" for a few months.  it can be as simple as rapping on the impeller housing while the heat is turned on.  has to be brief, though, as the element will overheat without cooler water moving through it, and will trip the circuit.

the jet pump is easy enough, and cheap enough, to replace.  looking at $200 for the pump.

I didn't buy a used one, but I wouldn't be afraid to.  People get tired of maintaining them and paying the electric bill associated with them, and sometimes just want them to go away, so I definitely think there are deals to be made on a free hot tub.  Pump motor is, at most, $500 if you need one, that's probably as expensive a repair as you're looking at with a used tub.  Time would be the other factor, if they let it freeze, you will have some plumbing repairs to do, but nothing that's going to cost a million dollars.

Just might be a PIA depending upon where said leaks happen to be.. A good portion of the plumbing is hidden inside foam. Ours had an ionizer that was a bit pricey also. When we gave ours away, it was still functioning, but the amount of time the water would stay fresh continued to decline. While we still enjoyed a good soak, we tired of the maintenance as Juice suggested.

Best bet would be find one in a similar situation, still up and running, but the owners are tired of taking care of it. Keeping up with the chemicals is a pain in the bum.

Now we have a sauna we never use. 

Mine had a bad temp probe last year. Causing no heat. $40 part. Most will throw a diagnostic code like a car to pinpoint the issue.

Human stock pot.

Hot tubs and swimming pools are are both things best owned by other people that you can use occasionally when you want to.

7 minutes ago, Jon W said:

Hot tubs and swimming pools are are both things best owned by other people that you can use occasionally when you want to.

Ed Zachery 

Boats too

we have a giant in-ground pool that doesn't get used much, so I fully understand the desire or lack there of to maintain such items. 

sounds like I wouldn't be that bad off to continue to look for a free one. 

thanks!

Buddy of mine bought the Dee-lux version hot tub. Mood lights, little fountain jets , installation,  think it even had tunes. Forgot what he paid for it. $5k maybe for a turnkey hottub. By the 2nd year they were hardly using it. Now it sits there covered in leaves.

22 minutes ago, CJKarl said:

Buddy of mine bought the Dee-lux version hot tub. Mood lights, little fountain jets , installation,  think it even had tunes. Forgot what he paid for it. $5k maybe for a turnkey hottub. By the 2nd year they were hardly using it. Now it sits there covered in leaves.

I got something like that too.  It's a called a "Jeep"

but is it free?

this is my main reason looking to cheap out of this. I know her, 2 years = 5 uses. tops, and all those in the first 2 weeks. after that, I would be listing it for free. 

You're in fawking Maine, man. Go find one of those wood fired things... Tres simple...

NY now. they don't take kindly to the Maine way of life

4 hours ago, massxj said:

Human stock pot.

Stewing in your own juices. Exactly why wifey takes only showers. lol