Sign in to follow this  
FGZ

Are there any "dud" years for Civics?

Getting back into a Civic, or similar. I'm going for cheap reliability, and am pretty convinced domestic will rot out too fast...I am replacing a rotting 03 Escape after all. Taking a look at this one soon: https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/cto/d/well-maintained-04-honda-in/6305575547.html

It seems like I heard something about 2004s being defective but can't remember, thought I'd run it by the NEOW thought leaders.

I flipped one of those last year or year before.  Same year, same situation with high miles.  The thing just ran and ran.  Last I heard it got wrecked and scrapped, though.

My daughter has an Accord from that same era.  Garvin's old car, actually.  It won't quit.

The 158k mileage didn't phase me much either. Just couldn't tell if there were lurking unknowns like oil consumption or bad clusters or something like that.

Keep up with maintenance and when it's time to do the timing belt, do everything else in there. 

JFN - that the one I sold you?

Accords, around 2010 IIRC, v6 had oil consumption issues. 

Buy it. Drive it. Replace brakes and tires when needed. Oil and filters. And put some gas in on occasion.

7 hours ago, jeeping1974 said:

Keep up with maintenance and when it's time to do the timing belt, do everything else in there. 

JFN - that the one I sold you?

Which just includes the water pump as far as I've heard, is there more? Maybe with 2 working vehicles I'll try this myself after some youtube training.

I saw it, drove it, goes fine. Under the hood looks crusty but not uncommon. Outstanding file of maintenance records, but no freaking timing belt. Oh well, I'm buying it tomorrow and will get after the timing belt and associated hardware at some point.

I think that's it with the timing belt. Make sure all your grounds are clean too. I read that was a common issue with this era of civics for some reason. 

Honestly, that is some cheap money though for a good little DD car. 

37 minutes ago, jeeping1974 said:

I think that's it with the timing belt. Make sure all your grounds are clean too. I read that was a common issue with this era of civics for some reason. 

Honestly, that is some cheap money though for a good little DD car. 

Odd thing about the grounds. It was the first thing I noticed when popping the hood - the main ground strap from frame to block was rotted and nearly severed. I almost got to complain about it and offer less, but then I found the wire someone sistered next to it. Still needs to be replaced and cleaned up, but at least there was functionality there.

On 10/9/2017 at 8:35 AM, Juiceman said:

I flipped one of those last year or year before.  Same year, same situation with high miles.  The thing just ran and ran.  Last I heard it got wrecked and scrapped, though.

My daughter has an Accord from that same era.  Garvin's old car, actually.  It won't quit.

Good to hear! It was a great car, we just couldnt justify putting money to it with a growing family on the way. 

I'm fighting a P0453 (Fuel Tank Pressure / evap emission high input) CEL. I hoped it was gas cap or a fluke so I cleared it, but it comes back or shows up as pending after any cold start. Maintenance records show that both Pep Boys (threw a Stant gas cap at it) and a dealership worked on the same code 2 years ago, I guess now it's my turn. They seemed to make the code go away long enough to get an inspection so I'll be trying that too.

P0453 should be a pretty easy fix.  The people that have "diagnosed" this in the past seemingly didn't know how the system works.

P0453 says the fuel tank pressure sensor voltage is high.  You should be able to look at a scan tool and see this in real time, if the code resets every key cycle.  The sensor is faulty, the sensor is unplugged, or the sensor circuit is damaged somewhere.   No gas cap necessary, no smoke test, no yada yada.  P0453 points directly to the fuel tank pressure sensor voltage, and nothing else.

You should let JFN have a whack at it.

Yes it's been too long since I've gotten some good JFN time in. I'll try to avoid the trek for now but if I should get so lucky to have some time open up I'll bring my $20 for the dresser.

I don't have a very good scanner but am going to give it a shot with what I have, along with getting my eyes on that sensor to look for the obvious.

Faulty sensor is the common fix here.  Easy to replace.