Sign in to follow this  
mike_belben

2017 Garden Thread

nope.

just googled compost microbes and that popped up 

allah help you if you google crotch fruit.  i haven't been brave enough to do it yet.

nothing good

still pulling enough green beans and zucchini every day for our dinner, and kale/chard for three nights per week.  i've dug about 3/4 of the potatoes, eh, look good, but a small crop.  a few cherry tomatoes getting ripe.  lots of butternut squash hiding in the leaves.  and apples.

we've had broccoli twice.

belben, you don't have to compost separately, especially if there's nothing planted.  just add the materials directly to the garden - broadcast - and it will be fine.  no need to save and add to the garden later.

fwiw, f-i-l does this all year in michigan, including during the growing season.  it has worked since the 60s.

Our garden is burping tomato's I made sauce a couple week ago and might do it again this weekend.

2 hours ago, wally said:

belben, you don't have to compost separately, especially if there's nothing planted.  just add the materials directly to the garden - broadcast - and it will be fine.  

I tried that all summer and everything in it still died.  Tried commercial fertilizer too with no result.    I think theres so much compaction that roots cant get oxygen nutrients.  Loosening the rootballs and rows with a shovel is the only thing that gave any obvious boost.  When the bobcat could barely dig it out despite being plowed twice in spring and loosened several times i just said hell with it, this dirt is far too compacting and needs to be scrapped.

Same results over the years from 3 immediate neighbors.  Other end of the road is one decent looking garden, the owner digs up this real rich stinky (like a septic leach field) black creek bottom loam and has been tilling it in for years, so not very comparable to my dirt anymore

I found the county soil survey, 260 pages and vastly more complex than i expected dirt could be.  It claims this is a poor region for crops, kinda fooled me since i never saw more farming than here.  But i guess it is mostly hay, corn and cattle now that i think of it.  Anyhow the primary crop here is hardwood.. We have 72% of our landmass growing timber. our soils are much better suited to that. Excellent oaks can come out of this area if the management is there.

I still need to bring a dirt sample to the usda office and see what they recommend.  Would like to have some compost made by then as well.

Edited by mike_belben

One of the wife's favorite plants in her garden. Hairy Balls yup, that's the real name.

2017-10-05_02-24-47

Picked a little evil this morning.  Process tonight.

2017-10-11_09-37-45