heavysquad

Enclosed Trailer as a camper

Thinking the best way to go from tent camping to camper camping is to get a 6x12 enclosed trailer and throw some windows in it. This way I can camp in it and still use it to haul stuff like a trailer. I don't want a built in Kitchen or bathroom, just a place to sleep and store all the camping stuff like stoves and coolers etc

I have found this company that builds their own trailers so you can have a bunch of options added by the builders.

http://www.usacargotrailersales.com/ is there someone similar closer?

Do the big name trailers companies make these with insulation and AC mounts?

Last time I saw one of these on CL someone on here suggested I find a used toy hauler. I can't seem to find a small toy hauler trailer anywhere. I don't want anything bigger than 12' as I need to pull it with my JK.

On 9/30/2015 at 9:41 AM, heavysquad said:

Thinking the best way to go from tent camping to camper camping is to get a 6x12 enclosed trailer and throw some windows in it. This way I can camp in it and still use it to haul stuff like a trailer. I don't want a built in Kitchen or bathroom, just a place to sleep and store all the camping stuff like stoves and coolers etc

I have found this company that builds their own trailers so you can have a bunch of options added by the builders.

http://www.usacargotrailersales.com/ is there someone similar closer?

Do the big name trailers companies make these with insulation and AC mounts?

Last time I saw one of these on CL someone on here suggested I find a used toy hauler. I can't seem to find a small toy hauler trailer anywhere. I don't want anything bigger than 12' as I need to pull it with my JK.

I'll see if I can get some info on one I pass going to work might be to big. The guys that my kid raced with had couple they built that were as small as 9'. plain boxes with vinyl tile floors and cabinets with water tanks and little generators on the trailer hitches most were 10' or 12'

the big deal is most enclosed trailers are not insulated. Hot in summer, cold in winter.

But any options can always be built into them if you have the skills. Buy a standard enclosed, cut some windows and a hole for AC. Then insulated it, hang some cabinets and build fold up bunks

1 hour ago, TJ said:

I went by the toy hauler and it no longer sits by the road or has a for sale sign on it

No worries,  thanks for looking! 

I sold a rooftop tent this spring to a guy who does this. Has a battery system and a nice table with seating in the trailer. He plans on adding a kitchen too.

just camped with him at the Vermont Overland Rally this past weekend. Really nice setup.

image.png

Edited by billyjp2