ScottCJ7

Dumping Cable for Streaming?

I'm tired of overpriced cable bills for a couple of shows I watch on HBO and Showtime.

Is there any options online for streaming new and current HBO and Showtime shows?

Since I've gotten Netflix streaming, I am finding that I'm only watching the morning news as well as a couple shows....

we lost the cable for 2+ years for streaming, hula netflix and justin tv however i missed HGTV discovery nesn and espn .. There really is not a good sports streaming option without blackouts. so back to cable

I find it ironic that 30 years ago we got 20+ channels over the air al,l new england sports free and PBS had a great line up of DIY programs... seems to be technologically backwards ... guess the only progress was swaping to a cable so broadcasters wallets got fatter

I've seen some of them creeping up on Netflix and we have Hulu Plus also. There are some sports streaming channels through the Roku. We have the free UFC channel. We still have basic cable (just local channels) but that's it. I've actually found since switching to the Roku, I watch the brainsucker almost never until my shows come back in the fall.

Edited by angel

I've seen some of them creeping up on Netflix and we have Hulu Plus also. There are some sports streaming channels through the Roku. We have the free UFC channel. We still have basic cable (just local channels) but that's it. I've actually found since switching to the Roku, I watch the brainsucker almost never until my shows come back in the fall.

thats where we are at .. basic cable with broadband..

We use Hulu+ and Netflix Instant. Were ready to kill cable (returned the box) but realized that we still have picture coming down the pipe since we still have cable internet. Plugged it into the TV and still get about 70 channels, even a few in HD. We still pay the exorbitant Comcast Internet fee ($68/month) but we get "free" cable with it.

I watch HBO, Showtime, etc. on http://watchseries.eu/

So I've cut my cable bill but dumping one of my cable boxes, dropping my channels down.....I've also dropped the netflix DVDs but kept the streaming....been averaging 1 DVD a week, I know its only $8 a month but I can see more movies in a month for less money and less wait from RedBox - it was only a $40 savings on my cable bill though....

Bought a Roku on woot today for fitty bucks. Almost can't go wrong with that. I don't know if I'm ready to dump satellite altogether, but maybe after we get acclimated with Roku a little bit.

Between Netflix on the consoles and Zune on Xbox, we get all we need but for sports. Pats I can watch on reg channels, but the bruins I need to get NHL gamecenter or not watch. :(

Netflix is losing the Starz movies, which is a considerable portion of their library. I have Dish, and they're enticing me to dump Netflix for Blockbuster with some special deal.

I'm more inclined to dump them all. I dumped Xbox Live Gold when I realized I can watch Netflix for free on my Wii. Roku has a bunch more free movies, plus they're hooked up with Amazon who has a shatload of stuff for rent a la carte. And I'd be hardpressed to watch 80 bucks worth of Amazon a month, which is what I currently pay for Dish.

I have a bajillion channels on Dish, and I can count the ones I actually watch on two hands. And I could probably live without half of those.

appletv looks like roku at twice the price, to me. i'm fairly fond of apple, too, but the way apple locks down their stuff didn't appeal to me wrt my tv watching. you have to be a slave to apple to watch appletv.

We downgraded our cable to the basic basic. They don't advertise it and try to talk you out of it. They told me I would only get 2-12,but in reality I get about 50 channels, no box. $17 a month + $8 for Netflix. I can live with that. Not a sports guy but I know I get a couple espns.

But I also pay $40 a month for internet so I guess that should be averaged in also.