Sign in to follow this  
84cj

84cj build

It's been about 10 years since I did the tub swap on the CJ. At the time the frame was in really good condition, the last 10 years have taken it's toll and it's time for a replacement. With the sale of my truck, some of the funds can go into the CJ. As I'm going to need it for trailer towing duties.

Plan is for a somewhat resto/mod. Stock on the outside, with a bit of more modern under the hood.

A new TDK frame has been ordered through 4wd Hardware due to cheaper shipping charges. TDK wanted nearly $700 to ship the frame, 4wd Hardware wanted $165 to send the same frame. No brainer. 4wd does so much truck frieght, they get a deal, I asked. It should be here in a couple weeks.

A TBI 350 will be going in place of the AMC 360, which is for sale along with the T-176. I got an SM465 for free from a relative including bellhousing and shift fork. I ordered an adapter from Advanced Adapters to bolt up my D300. I will be doing a single exhaust hopefully using old GM Rams Horn manifolds. Hoping to exit the exhaust in the stock location or near to it. Everything will be hooked up including a catalytic converter and all emissions on the 93 engine.

I also ordered new body mounts, sway bar bushings and a bolt in Chevy V-8 motor mounts. A Chevy conversion radiator is also on it's way.

The original plan for the CJ was a complete make-over all at once. This was pre selling the truck. With the truck gone, I will be getting it mechanically ready for the road and do the body transformation later. The plan is to paint it back to it's original Silver glory, new carpet and undecided on the seats as of right now. A new soft top will be on the future list also. I am planning on running my 5 slot aluminum wheels when I get those refinished. I'm leaning towards powder coating or paint due to the abuse they took from a sand blaster. I'm going down to 31 inch tires from the 33's that used to be on it. I want to put this back towards a more street capable rig with ok mileage. I was getting just shy of 18 MPG with the 360 and 3.31 gears, I'm hoping to at least hit that with the TBI 350.

Original front bumper is going back on. The Tomken rear bumper will also be coming off being replaced with a hitch and stock CJ bumperettes. Winch is staying on.

I'll try to keep this updated when possible.

1985.jpg

tub2.jpg

Pictures059.jpg

jeep021.jpg

jeep025.jpg

jeep051.jpg

jeep052.jpg

jeep049.jpg

Edited by 84cj

Lets get some updates here bud.

Waiting on the frame. :ph34r: Said it would be about 4 weeks, frames are made to order than shipped.

"Delivery Date: 07/30/2008 (Estimated)

Pieces: 1

Weight: 300

Origin: MOORE, MT 59464

Origin Svc Ctr: LEW - LEWISTOWN

Destination: GORHAM, ME 04038"

If you need a trailer to move the frame let me know

Ditto. I only live a couple towns away from you so it might be closer for me than Jimmy.

If you need someone to come point out how your doing it wrong but offer nothing in the realm of actual help let me know.

Frame showed up from the trucking company. :angry:

Very impressed. Looks to be very well made. All nuts welded inside the frame where needed, rear shackle hangers welded into the frame. Tubes welded in areas like the engine mounts so not to crush the frame when installed. If the swap goes half as good as the frame looks, I'll be a happy camper. :up:

jeep060.jpg

jeep064.jpg

jeep061.jpg

jeep063.jpg

jeep065.jpg

jeep067.jpg

jeep068.jpg

jeep069.jpg

jeep066.jpg

jeep070.jpg

From what I can see, yes. The only holes that I didn't check to see if they were there are for the trans crossmember, I'm sure they are there. Holes for the steering box, sway bar are there. Even the hole for the ebrake cable is in place.

Need to get it painted soon, if this weather ever clears up.