heavysquad

Phones and Plans

Weird how all the carriers went to the "pay full price for a phone" model at the same time. 

New iphones announced today, nothing blew me away.

Thinking I might switch carriers and go to us cell and get last years iphoneX. It is currently $1,000 with $450 credit to change carriers. If it goes down to $750 like apple announced $300 would be a bargain. We will see.

Been with Project Fi for 3 years now.  Started with a Nexus 5X, and it just stopped chargling last week.  $180 for an original Pixel, and it's perfectly good.  As much as I was thinking of looking at the Pixel 3 when it comes out, I think the Pixel will do for a year or two, and at the price, I can afford to replace it if I screw up.

Short version, I kinda see used smart phones like used cars....

i don't own a cell phone.

I use straighttalk and have a $90 phone. $45/month consistently and I have good service. Never run into data problems. My phones last around 3-4 years depending on the amount of gunk i get in the charging port.

And it's an android. :ph34r:

Edited by 79fordgirl

3 hours ago, heavysquad said:

Weird how all the carriers went to the "pay full price for a phone" model at the same time. 

New iphones announced today, nothing blew me away.

Thinking I might switch carriers and go to us cell and get last years iphoneX. It is currently $1,000 with $450 credit to change carriers. If it goes down to $750 like apple announced $300 would be a bargain. We will see.

I bent over and spread wide enough for my current iPhone 8. I’m not entirely sure I’ll replace it when it becomes obsolete. I may buy a damn flip phone. The price of smart phones is out of control. 

Maybe in 2-3 years they’ll all flip around and start subsidizing phones again.

Att gives 0% interest on the phone. $16 extra a month. Think this last phone was $275. Very basic.  I tossed a memory card in for photos.

I run my business from a smartphone so I need to keep somewhat up to date. Currently running a Galaxy S8 that I bought with 0% financing when it 1st came out. Had a $300 credit for trading in a phone, so was around $450. 

I am all iphone X.  The full NSA surreptitious monitoring and recording version.  I'm sure my microphone and camera are turned on right now.

3 hours ago, JeepinMike said:

Been with Project Fi for 3 years now.  Started with a Nexus 5X, and it just stopped chargling last week.  $180 for an original Pixel, and it's perfectly good.  As much as I was thinking of looking at the Pixel 3 when it comes out, I think the Pixel will do for a year or two, and at the price, I can afford to replace it if I screw up.

Short version, I kinda see used smart phones like used cars....

I would have suggested get Pixel 2, they are still getting updates. I think they're stopping support for Pixel.

I'm still on an older Verizon plan that allows me to buy the latest greatest phones with 0% interest over 24 months plus going that route they take around $25/m per phone off my monthly plan rates and I after they are half paid for I can give it back to them and trade for newest phone with the same terms and no roll over of cost from the previous phone.  For what I do i need Verizon's coverage so I have to pay for the plan anyway to why not effectively get my $900 phones for half price and trade every year.  Every year they try to convince me that I need to upgrade to their newest plans....so I have them run the numbers and then ask them why I would pay an extra $1,200yr for the same service  I already get.

Me,the lovely Susan, mom and one I save for the company. 

204 a month,it's f,ing stupid. But I run a company.

$2500 a year, it's crazy.

I have an 8 plus that stays on the motorcycle.   Got that first but didn’t like it.  I have an X that I love.  I own all the phones in the house so no contracts. 

1 hour ago, Jon W said:

I would have suggested get Pixel 2, they are still getting updates. I think they're stopping support for Pixel.

Nope, just got Android Pie....