rvgjeep1

I need some well work

Looks like I lost the check valve at my well pump, according to a few hours of desperate googling and yootoobing.

Everything in the basement is new except the check valve at the tank, but it seems fine because the house pressure stays put after the pump stops. But when the pump kicks on, the house pressure drops to zero for a moment then goes up as normal as I get some serious water hammer. Seems like the 180 feet of vertical column has drained down through the pump. Meaning that when demanded the pump starts and for a moment has an effect on the house pressure and then goes to normal again. I takes about 5 seconds for the pump pressure to be normal (has to fill the 180 feet every time). The pump itself seems fine, but the check valve at the pump is likely inside and part of the pump.

Anyone here familiar with this stuff? I need some help. I'll likely be pulling the pump myself at this point.

Install a new pump while you have the old one out. I mess with well pumps a bit I use them to pump sap from the woods tank up. The check valves are just a small piece of plastic in the top of the pump. Because I drill the woods pump so it drains back. 

I had to have the pump replaced at our house a few years ago. I left it to the professional. I had no idea of the depth and the thought of pulling it by hand didn't entice me. They came out the day after I called, pulled all 383 feet of piping to get the pump head and said that it was the original from 1979 so it exceeded all life expectancies. They were gone in 5-6 hours from when they started. I probably would have spent days. 

I cant afford a pump, they feel confident that they can just replace the check valve and leave. I will watch and learn and immediately prepare for the big job later which I'll do myself.

They get $1100 for a pump, I can get the same one for $300 online.

They get $400 for the new hose, I get it for $200

They get $400 for the new wiring to the pump and another $400 to run new wires to the box,.(i need to upgrade the wire and hose by law if they do it)

And finally $350 to pull it. (180 feet deep)

Sorry I wasn't full awake when I first posted. There is an internal valve but you probably have one of these as well or something like it big spring in there but the seal is what goes. This what they will replace.

image.png

I had a similar issue years ago.  Turned out a fitting between the check valve in the basement and the pump was leaking allowing air to gradually get drawn into the line after the pump shut off.  

Fortunately the leaking fitting was in the basement.  Just had to tighten and re-seal the joint to fix it.

Hopefully it's something as simple as that for you.

I wish, but the gauge on the system is solid for hours with nothing turned on. Pretty sure it's underground. I only have about 10 feet of pipe in the building, the rest is underground. And, I just installed everything new in the basement except the one check valve that seems fine.

16 minutes ago, Dill said:

Sorry I wasn't full awake when I first posted. There is an internal valve but you probably have one of these as well or something like it big spring in there but the seal is what goes. This what they will replace.

image.png

Yes, they are adding a supplemental check valve above the pump. The guy said they always do this now and will never rely on the internal valve.

1 hour ago, rvgjeep1 said:

I cant afford a pump, they feel confident that they can just replace the check valve and leave. I will watch and learn and immediately prepare for the big job later which I'll do myself.

They get $1100 for a pump, I can get the same one for $300 online.

They get $400 for the new hose, I get it for $200

They get $400 for the new wiring to the pump and another $400 to run new wires to the box,.(i need to upgrade the wire and hose by law if they do it)

And finally $350 to pull it. (180 feet deep)

That is a DIY all day long.  I’ve done mine a few times for a various reasons.  I’m about 165 feet and it’s a piece of cake.  Just need a piece of pipe to screw into the pitless connector to get started! 

Just now, SCF said:

I have one of those just before my tank, in the basement.  Pump in down in the well.

Yeah, I have one at my tank also, but my failure is the one that holds the 180 feet of water just above the pump.

Just now, GSSFC said:

That is a DIY all day long.  I’ve done mine a few times for a various reasons.  I’m about 165 feet and it’s a piece of cake.  Just need a piece of pipe to screw into the pitless connector to get started! 

I'm not afraid of the process, just the cost of parts.

1 minute ago, rvgjeep1 said:

I'm not afraid of the process, just the cost of parts.

So replace what’s needed and do it multiple times like me!  

I should have listened and done it at once but it’s really not a big job to do it.  Hour or two at most the first time.  I could pull it now, replace a pump and have it back in the ground in under and hour.  

Dont forget to shock the well after.  

28 minutes ago, GSSFC said:

So replace what’s needed and do it multiple times like me!  

I should have listened and done it at once but it’s really not a big job to do it.  Hour or two at most the first time.  I could pull it now, replace a pump and have it back in the ground in under and hour.  

Dont forget to shock the well after.  

I second the do not forget to shock the well.