CJKarl

ISO Yakima or Thule Rack Expert

My dream of upgrading my kayak racks has quickly turned in to a mounting nightmare.  I need to mount a Yakima round bar or Thule square bar to the stock raised roof rack on my 1999 Honda Odyssey. I've been to 3 "dealers" and all they can do is sell me  $3-400 brand new set up. If I can find the proper part # I can find some older stuff on eBay.

The Yakima configuration website is a joke.  I'm about ready to put the 4 J-mounts back on CL and just shadetree engineer a more robust clamping system for my JobLot J-racks I've been using for the last 4 years.

Edited by CJKarl

Ugh, that sucks! Is there an odyssey group on f***book? I know Thule is pretty good at putting part numbers on each piece so you can get them on Amazon. I broke a part once and the dealers were zero help till I was frigging around with it years later and saw a number so I typed it into google and BAM $4 later I was repaired.

Check on Yakima racks.... I bought some Yakima J racks that clamped onto the factory cross bars.... they worked really well and were easy on/off. Look up the model you need on the Yakima site and check Amazon, they had them for better $$$.

Think I found a set on ebay. PRETTY sure they will fit my car. I finally found a cross reference sheet that a private party had posted. Yeah, may have been off a forum. Didn't think to check out the Ody forums. I know there are many. Guy wants $39.99, I offered him $25 because I'm taking a slight risk they won't fit and although I can return them, after shipping it would be a waste of $$.

Remember, it's not a Minivan....it's a Manlyvan!

4 minutes ago, Jon W said:

Check on Yakima racks.... I bought some Yakima J racks that clamped onto the factory cross bars.... they worked really well and were easy on/off. Look up the model you need on the Yakima site and check Amazon, they had them for better $$$.

Checked all that out. The generic Yakima crossbar mount are the same as my JobLot ones. It's a connection point I'm trying to avoid. NOW, if I could find the mount that is made for my stock flat crossbar I would go for it. I already have 2 pair of Yakima J-racks, just need to get a mount.

Edited by CJKarl

Guy refused my offer, I just paid him the full $39.99

Now looking for 1 1/4" round bar. Yakima  is $100 pair new. I'm sure I can find some used ones online. On a hunch I called my local stainless supplier. $16-$20 a foot for stainless tooob. Nix that idea.

We've had two sets of of Yakima racks over the years (from my old car and mom's old car). I just looked out in the shed, not there. I have no idea what we did with them. Would have been free if they were still around.

Go buy conduit and put rubber end cabs on it.  

My island car needed surf racks to hold a stack or boards at 80mph without liftoff.  One afternoon in the barracks parking lot, stick of conduit, some hardwood blocks, threaded rod, fender washers, silicone and done.  They were a selling point years later when some other beach bum took it off my hands. 

A friend just went thru this trying to find mounts for a new car. Seems the rack companies expect you to buy whole new set-up

1 hour ago, dkj1028 said:

A friend just went thru this trying to find mounts for a new car. Seems the rack companies expect you to buy whole new set-up

Yeah, it's quite a racket. Newer cars are tough though. Lots of them have model specific recessed mounting areas.

22 hours ago, mike_belben said:

Go buy conduit and put rubber end cabs on it.  

My island car needed surf racks to hold a stack or boards at 80mph without liftoff.  One afternoon in the barracks parking lot, stick of conduit, some hardwood blocks, threaded rod, fender washers, silicone and done.  They were a selling point years later when some other beach bum took it off my hands. 

Going to see what black iron pipe costs. Paint the turd out of it and call it done. Will need end caps though. I imagine open tube perpendicular to the wind is going to make a racket.

7 minutes ago, CJKarl said:

Going to see what black iron pipe costs. Paint the turd out of it and call it done. Will need end caps though. I imagine open tube perpendicular to the wind is going to make a racket.

How much do you need (how many feet)?

39 minutes ago, toyworx said:

How much do you need (how many feet)?

Think I need 9'

2 at 4'-6" x 1 1/4"

Edited by CJKarl

Waiting for the brackets to come in. Should be here Monday. Then I'll know exactly what sizes and lengths I'll need.

20 minutes ago, CJKarl said:

Waiting for the brackets to come in. Should be here Monday. Then I'll know exactly what sizes and lengths I'll need.

I've got about 40ft of 1.25" by .120wall DOM on the shelf.  I think it was about $3 a foot. And can whip up some end caps on the lathe. If you want to get crazy...there's a powder coat guy down the road from me.