Sign in to follow this  
Starvin

Endoscope for Drain Line

TL;DR:

I am thinking about buying this to scope out my home sewer piping; thoughts??: https://www.amazon.com/BlueFire-Semi-rigid-Waterproof-Resolutions-Inspection/dp/B073ZFC59R/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1529435190&sr=8-3&keywords=drain%2Bscope&dpID=51cyTWCP0bL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&th=1

THE LONG VERSION:

I have an old house with old clay sewer pipe to the street. It has settled over time and occasionally roots grow in. I have gotten tot he point where I get it scoped and/or rooted every 6 months, with application of a project called "Root-X" to kill off the roots. 

Anyhow, I had the rooters come out today and they scoped the line and said I was good and that no rooting is necessary. I paid $195 for this. I am considering buying the above and scope the lines out myself. That way I don't have to pay someone to tell me there is no issue. 

Thoughts? My only hesitation on the linked endoscope is it doesnt seem rigid enough to be able to snake out the line. It seems like it would be flimsy enough to get hung up. I suppose I could buy a electricians snake tape and affix the camera to it?

What does Jimmy the plumber say?

Got any good rooting jokes?

Edited by Starvin

The one I've seen used also has a water jet attached to it, so if they see a root, they can blast it to pieces.  I don't know that I need to own a piece of equipment like that, it's been ten years since I've had a root issue.

Jimmy says,trust the guy you just paid.

Are there any trees or shrubs growing on or near the sewer line?

If so maybe get them to cut the roots every 5 years or so. 

They will use a root cutter not a pressure washer.

Or replace the line with pvc pipe.

5 minutes ago, bigjeep said:

Jimmy says,trust the guy you just paid.

Are there any trees or shrubs growing on or near the sewer line?

If so maybe get them to cut the roots every 5 years or so. 

They will use a root cutter not a pressure washer.

Or replace the line with pvc pipe.

Oh I trust him that everything looks good now. They've been good to me.

I'd just like to avoid paying $195 again in 6 months if I can spend $40 now and determine if the lines need to be rooted myself. If, in 6 months, I scope it and see roots, I will call them and skip the scoping fee. Does that change your answer?

There is a pretty large shrub on my neighbors property that I am pretty sure is the problem. Not sure what you mean by root cutting?

I priced out the replacement with PVC. $5K. I can get a lot of scoping and RootX for $5K. 

Root cutter is a tool end on a rotary snake,spins against the pipe and cuts roots off.

2 minutes ago, bigjeep said:

Root cutter is a tool end on a rotary snake,spins against the pipe and cuts roots off.

Cool! In the past they just kinda ripped them out with their snake/rooter thingy. 

I have applied RootX at regular intervals which is supposed to burn the ends of the roots and kill them off. Apparently it is working. I'd just like to scope it myself in the future with a minimal upfront investment and avoid paying $195 several times over. Plus I can use it to spy on my kids when they are teenagers. 

I rented a commercial rooter for $50/24hr. did my friend line 50ish feet in about 15 minutes. I'd just do that every year or so.

Your house or a rental? Replace the line and be done with it.

Insurance carriers are starting to roll out service line coverage for burried service lines. Probably needs to be sudden and accidental to trigger coverage. Should be worth looking into. 

15 hours ago, CJKarl said:

Your house or a rental? Replace the line and be done with it.

My house. $5K to replace with PVC. I know it is the right thing to do but I am not sure how long we will be here so it doesnt seem worth it

3 hours ago, Starvin said:

My house. $5K to replace with PVC. I know it is the right thing to do but I am not sure how long we will be here so it doesnt seem worth it

If you're going to have to sell the house this is the kind of thing you're supposed to disclose to the seller.... There is a good argument that even if it doesn't add value to your house it will avoid a headache when you have to talk to the buyer about it and they want to negotiate.

Screw the buyer.  Nobody disclosed anything to me at closing.  It's buyer beware.

1 hour ago, Juiceman said:

Screw the buyer.  Nobody disclosed anything to me at closing.  It's buyer beware.

It's a public forum. No doors....

And that is directed at him, not you.

Edited by Jon W

I'm not afraid of saying what the natural truth is.  Would anyone deny that it's always buyer beware?

Did anyone tell Greg that he was going to have to replace the sewer line when he bought the house?  I know nobody told me about the superfund site that was my cellar, until about a year after I had closed on it, and only then because I happened to get a random letter from the EPA saying they were closing the case on the hazmat spill on my property.  Wait, what?

That's just how the world is.