Sign in to follow this  
TiTRD

Jerry! My 5.3 is making a racket.

That is an expensive sounding noise.

Come to butthead.

he just got here.  the noise, however, did not.  

i'm willing to call it carbon knock, must have finally chewed it up and spit it down the exhaust pipe.  i've seen some pretty gnarly noises caused by loose carbon chunks in the cylinder.

Maybe.  There are two schools of thought on this. 

1. All engines have carbon buildup and for the most part, it's not detrimental, so you can just leave it alone and live your life blissfully unaware of it.  (this is most people)
  2. I saw the commercial on TV about carbon buildup, and I surely don't want any of that stuff in my engine, so I am putting additives/seafoam/techron in to get rid of it!  Trouble with using carbon remover chemicals is that they really work well, and the carbon will definitely come loose then, and potentially end up with the sort of thing we had here today.

He has a couple of other issues I'm addressing, so I'll pull plugs or otherwise see if I can find some indication of how much carbon buildup there is, then decide what to do about it, if anything.

That’s why I asked the question, I wanted an educated answer. Figured this would be a good place to ask it.

I've seafoamed most all my vehicles, typically yearly....except the last couple years I've forgot.  I've personally seen it work wonders on older engine including getting rid of upper end knocking.  Juice has a point though, just how much doo-dee do you want to get rid of/loosen up.  Kinda like 1st tranny flush at 150k plus, I worry about it cleaning too well and doo-dee loosening up and getting caught internally.

lol

it's true.

The early days of Northstar engines in Cadillacs produced noises like this.  Customer comes in with a 30k mile Deville and says his engine is knocking.   Our protocol was to take it on a road test at 75mph in manual 2nd.  This runs the engine at about 5k rpm.  That would typically resolve any knocking concern.   The problem was not the car, it was the owner:  I only drive it 30mph twice a week down to the Piggly Wiggly, and to church on Sunday.

WRT Seafoam, Techron, et al:   it's all good stuff, GM recommends Techron by name to keep injectors clean (you all recall that Vortec CPI injectors would stick closed).  Techron really works, if you get into the habit of putting a bottle in your tank once a month, it will keep your engine clean.  Much like the transmission fluid analogy, if you drive it 100k miles and then decide to dump Techron in it, you may find yourself listening to a lot of knocking and banging until it all cleans up.

Feed 'er the corn

I just added a bottle of Techron to both of our main cars with fill-ups last week. I need to put it on a schedule so I remember to do so on a regular basis.

Durango I sold this past Winter started to run a bit rough and threw a misfire code, swapped injectors around and issue followed.  Gambled it and threw in some Techron.  Issue went away completely.  Pleasantly surprised...