grendel

At least you're not using real Jeep parts that won the war...

Andy made me do it.

So, I am a hot rod guy and a Jeeper... but not a fan of Furd (or anything else that rymes with turd). So when a Aqualu CJ2 tub that's been widened and lengthened pops up, what do you do???

I checked my parts stash... LS2 with twin carbs and a rocking hood scoop, check. Built 4L60E, check. C5 Corvette suspenion and brakes from the Rickmeister himself, check.  335's for the front and 345's for the rear on 19x12 rims, check.  It's like NEOW wants me to build a sacreligious jeep-rod.

Oh, and a bunch of hate messages on f***book, thus the title of this thread.

I give you: Pinky. A widened and lengthend DJ2a with a destroked LS2 with twin carbs and a distributor and a paddle shifted 4l60E.  It will be a Surrey style hot rod that should piss off all the purists, Jeepers, Chevy guys, Ford guys and Corvette guys (they're different).

To be clear, I really want to build this, but need to get through other projects first, so this is out back for now... but everything else is in play. Motor's getting freshened up, trans is being converted to 2wd and the front suspension adapters are being built while I build Studebakers, C10's, C50's and other customer projects.

Jeep 5.jpg

30657069_10212965386704155_120316774220394994_n.jpg

30714629_10212977706532143_5180012300885037515_n.jpg

31713351_1489656431145043_8151865455569534976_n.jpg

Edited by grendel

Love it

Almost went AWD on this, but couldn't figure out how to sneak the differential and axleshafts past the oil pan and keep the look I want. Plus it will weigh very little, so AWD would be wasted and add weight.

I found some aluminum box tube for the frame, that will get welded right to the tub. Yep, Pinky will be unibody :). You may notice the custom aluminum frame adapters. We're working with this guy named Dobertin to adapt Corvette suspension to any chassis that sports tube. C5/6/7 doesn't matter. Although I am using full width frames, they cut down nicely, too. 5/6th gen Camaro rear differentials work well to eliminate the Corvette torque tube... still thinking about one in the front. I do have an NP120 I could put in, to ease the Jeep purist's spirit. It has a transfer case, it's a CJ2 :).  Waiting for the front adapters now.

I also have some Ride Tech coil overs for the rear... front stays with the fiberglass monoleaf for cost savings (I don't have shocks).

The tub is 4" longer and 3" wider. Fenders and hood are 4" longer and 3" wider. the body should be about the size of a TJ with a 64" WMS front and rear. Wheel base should be somewhere around 104" - about the same size as my Corvette Z06/7 and about 900lbs lighter... even though the body is all 1/8" aluminum vs the carbon fiber we did on the Z06/7.

The LS guys will love the Ford distributor and fuel pump... sourced from a 351 Windsor :).

We will do some polished aluminum... maybe the entire thing.

Edited by grendel

21 minutes ago, heavysquad said:

you should stance it

Um, no.  It will be a performance  bare bones build.

I'm calling the Jeep police! Oh the humanity.....

Love it! Can't wait to see more. 

Cool, going to make an awesome go cart. Pure Hotrod.

Now to get some Hammerhead Hemi heads that the guy originally made for Ford Windsor engines to go on it.

But why would purists care what you did with an aqualu tub?

3 hours ago, FrankTheDog said:

Cool, going to make an awesome go cart. Pure Hotrod.

Now to get some Hammerhead Hemi heads that the guy originally made for Ford Windsor engines to go on it.

But why would purists care what you did with an aqualu tub?

Nah, the LS2 already has really nice AFR heads with 11:1 compression... and the intake's being ported to match them.

No idea why they send the hate, but it cracks me up.

Front AWD is easy....trailblazer/97x/LS oil pan with pass through axleshafts and side pan mounted diff. There's even a $2k Saab 97x areo with 187k on it for $2k on CL that's a runner but has body issues.  That's the Saab version of the trailblazer ss with ls2 and should be fulltime AWD 4L70E with T3 transfer unlike the crappy sorta awd my 97x had. 

Edit-the $2k 97x is gone now. The solution still works though. 

Edited by SKEETER

1 hour ago, SKEETER said:

Front AWD is easy....trailblazer/97x/LS oil pan with pass through axleshafts and side pan mounted diff. There's even a $2k Saab 97x areo with 187k on it for $2k on CL that's a runner but has body issues.  That's the Saab version of the trailblazer ss with ls2 and should be fulltime AWD 4L70E with T3 transfer unlike the crappy sorta awd my 97x had. 

Edit-the $2k 97x is gone now. The solution still works though. 

Not so easy.

I have all that.  I even have a very nice NP120 that we built with cryo'd 300m  shafts to handle the 600hp at 7400rpm.  The LS2 we built is from a TBSS.

I also have the AWD system from an Astro.

I don't want the front axle line anywhere near the center of the engine.  I am also using Corvette based suspension.

The axle centerline will be just behind the grill.... the CV's won't take that much angle forward... as the engine will be about 12" behind.  Other wise, it looks goofy as heck.