Sign in to follow this  
calvynandhobbs

Driveshaft Ears bent out

Can the ears on the axle end of a driveshaft be bent back to straight? I’ll probably have to replace it, but if it can be bent back I’ll keep it as a spare.

yes.

They normally bend a little when changing ujoints and often need to be straightened to get the c-clips to seat correctly.

I jus happen to notice it while I was checking the rear diff fluid. I’ve been hearing some ticking that speeds up with driveshaft speed so I wonder if this could be the issue.

EA43AC7E-903D-4E6B-A62E-C02E7658D4C2.jpeg

Is that the slip end?  We sell that flange yoke (definitely in stock), those 12 point bolts, U-joint obviously, and the slip end (probably in stock depending the on the spline diameter).  Time to replace some parts!

Edited by 79fordgirl

I'm wit Roy:  that just looks like the wrong joint entirely.

30 minutes ago, Juiceman said:

I'm wit Roy:  that just looks like the wrong joint entirely.

I'll triple that. I bet that is supposed to have a conversion ujoint. 

47 minutes ago, SKEETER said:

I'll triple that. I bet that is supposed to have a conversion ujoint. 

Ding-ding winner. Never thought about that. This driveshaft used to have a conversion joint for a 1330 8.8 flange. I blew that ujoint apart and exploded that flange and found a couple 1310 flanges so went with those flanges and thought I could just put a 1310 ujoint since I was now 1310/1310. I didn’t think the driveshaft would be different.

1 hour ago, 79fordgirl said:

Is that the slip end?  We sell that flange yoke (definitely in stock), those 12 point bolts, U-joint obviously, and the slip end (probably in stock depending the on the spline diameter).  Time to replace some parts!

I think this ujoint came from Dave. I’ve ordered stuff from him and Scerb.

Edited by calvynandhobbs

Sum ting wong

8 hours ago, heavysquad said:

I bet you purposely rigged it up wrong so you could spend all your time fixing it instead of being an obedient husband.

Nope, this is a mistake of not knowing what I'm doing. My logic was that the driveshaft has a 1310 CV joint to the SYE. The 8.8 had a 1330 flange so I had a conversion joint between the 1310 driveshaft and 1330 flange adaptor. After grenading the 1330 flange adaptor and original conversion joint I put a 1310 flange adaptor on the 8.8 so I'm just running a Spicer 1310 ujoint at this point. Doesn't that seem logical? I still think it seems right. I think I bent those ears when I broke everything.

21 minutes ago, 79fordgirl said:

Your flange yoke is borken, we have some in stock!

I still have one in stock. I ordered two from Dave or Jared originally. I verified the box and they are Spicer 2-2-1379.

Somebody please correct me if I’m wrong, but with a 1310 flange adaptor I should be running  a 1310 ujoint, which is what’s in there and I have bent ears from the explosion of the flange and ujoint last year.

3 hours ago, calvynandhobbs said:

I still have one in stock. I ordered two from Dave or Jared originally. I verified the box and they are Spicer 2-2-1379.

Somebody please correct me if I’m wrong, but with a 1310 flange adaptor I should be running  a 1310 ujoint, which is what’s in there and I have bent ears from the explosion of the flange and ujoint last year.

Yep you have the "big flange".  The 2-2-1379 is 1310 on that side.  Your driveshaft it's hard to tell because it's also smoked... Shaft slip is probably 16 spline 1.375" OD and it's easy to replace.