Sign in to follow this  
Rooster

Looking for a hobby metal mill or 3 in 1

Just what the title say. Looking to borrow or if one is the right price, buy.

you don't want a 3 in 1. They do everything...but none of it well.

Is this a one off project you are trying to do? 

The 3in1's are ok for small stuff out of soft materials.  Nearly anything large enough for our hobby or out of steel it would not be great for.  So it really depends on what the project is before we say a 3in1 is bad or ok.

3 hours ago, toyworx said:

you don't want a 3 in 1. They do everything...but none of it well.

Is this a one off project you are trying to do? 

I need to do some mill work on an upper receiver for an AR project. I really don't need a mill or lathe, how ever, I would need to either do the task myself, or have a gunsmith do it. It's easty stuff, but rather not go thru a gunsmith. If I could "borrow "milling time" that would be optimal, as I can not ask anybody to do it unless they are licensed to mfg weapons. 

FYI, it's nothing illegal, just not worth my time for nosy gunsmiths

3 hours ago, Scerb said:

The 3in1's are ok for small stuff out of soft materials.  Nearly anything large enough for our hobby or out of steel it would not be great for.  So it really depends on what the project is before we say a 3in1 is bad or ok.

It would be "small" stuff and aluminum. Mostly.

Basically I need to bevel the inner part of the upper to accept 45ACP mags. The upper I received was of a newer variant and not like the pics I saw on the innerwebz (as they were EXACTLY what I was looking for). The mfg did away with all of their CNC programming for that variant and does not want to try to duplicate it. I can do it with a demel and a rat tail file, but am looking for something a little more professional.

Just now, Tjlongworth said:

you can go for a ride and use my mill

I appeciate it, however, looking for someone in NH area. Plus my upper is not legal in CT. At all.

On 4/16/2018 at 3:30 PM, Rooster said:

I appeciate it, however, looking for someone in NH area. Plus my upper is not legal in CT. At all.

Mike, just come to my house. I'll take care of it for you.

You'd need to give me an idea of the type of "bevel" so I can make sure I have the right tool ready. If not a days notice and I'll have it.