Sign in to follow this  
svobronco

what material for tie rods linkage?

I'm looking to make a large tie rod and drag link for a truck using rods ends and weld in bungs.  Prob going to use 1 3/4"x .120" wall tubing and 1 1/4" heims with 1" bolts.  What's the best type of steel to use for this? Any sources in southern NH/N Mass?

49 minutes ago, rvgjeep1 said:

I'd go 1.5" X .25" wall DOM (1026) or 7075 Aluminum.

This is what I used with weld in bungs and Chevy 1-ton ends. The steel place near me doesn’t deal DOM so I just ordered the kit from RuffStuff and cut it to length.

Ruff Stuff or Barnes 4WD both have kits and tube...Barnes is a little closer so check shipping...

Thanks for the info.  1.5" is too small, this is for a 9000lb Rockwell front axle that will have a minimum of 46" military rubber on it. 1.75x .120 is the smallest tube that will handle 1.25" heims, the next step is 2" tube....yikes!

1.75" .120 wall 4130 chromoly if you want to keep it under 2" O.D. 

http://stockcarsteel.com/4130-chrome-moly/4130-chrome-moly-round-tube#

Even that may not be strong enough if it is in a spot where it will get hit and bend. Most of the strength of tubing is from the O.D. size to resist bending. 

I may have to step up to 2" or step down to 7/8" rod ends. The stock linkage is bent for clearance under the driveshaft, I was planning on bending it to go over the driveshaft.  It should be well protected, I'm really only concerned with bending it.

3 hours ago, svobronco said:

Thanks for the info.  1.5" is too small, this is for a 9000lb Rockwell front axle that will have a minimum of 46" military rubber on it. 1.75x .120 is the smallest tube that will handle 1.25" heims, the next step is 2" tube....yikes!

Wouldn’t 1.75x.250 work?  

1.75 - .250 -.250 is 1.25 right? 

1 hour ago, GSSFC said:

Wouldn’t 1.75x.250 work?  

1.75 - .250 -.250 is 1.25 right? 

Negative. The 1.25" refers to the shank. It threads into a bung with a 1.50"O.D.  

8 hours ago, toyworx said:

Negative. The 1.25" refers to the shank. It threads into a bung with a 1.50"O.D.  

So 2” with .250 wall will fit the bill? 

7075.  I have a source that makes them for us...

They make the bungs in different sizes for different ID tube.  I may have to alter my thinking depending on the available real estate on the steering knuckle. There might not be enuf room for that big of a heim.  Probably have to wait until I actually have the truck in my possession.