heavysquad

110v plug in LED over head lights

Getting my 14'x28' mini barn wired tomorrow.  I opted to go with plugs on the ceiling rather than hard wired fixtures.  I figured it would give me a little more flexibility with where I need light and all that.  Has anyone had luck with a particular plug in model?  

I think these are the ones I put up in the barn. I did the same thing. Wired plugs on the ceiling and they are all controlled by a switch. One switch for the main barn and another switch for the hallway and stairs that go upstairs. No problems with them at all.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-Pro-Strip-Shop-Light-Common-4-ft-Actual-6-5-in-x-48-in/999911231

Did the same thing to the garage at the house. Those lights began failing a couple years ago and wouldn't turn on in the cold. They were hard wired, but I put boxes there also.

I went with these, found some good reviews.  I have 12 of them in my 2 car garage, wired up switches to control outlets. Had them for a year and half.  Only one has gone bad, I called up the company and they sent me a brand new one,  no questions asked, no receipt needed. 

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/2pk-led-shoplight-4-ft-led-shoplight/prod20051839.ip?xid=plp:product:1:1

Edited by e-roc

I did the plug in the ceiling also. works fine. Cords stay plugged in.

I too switched to the Sam's Club LED units in my basement and garage a couple of years ago.  All plug in units.  About $35 each.  Installed 17 of them.  To date they have all performed flawlessly.  Instant on vs the old slow tube fixtures I used to have.

You can get a ten pack of those at Sam's for $300 right now.  That's probably as good a deal as you're going to find, unless you work in an electrical supply house or something.

hmmm.... I could just surface mount conduit and outlet boxes on the ceiling in place of the incandescent bulb fixtures while adding a few more switched outlets... hmmmm...

exactly what I was thinking.  could probably drop my electric bill $300/month at the shop.

I installed 3 outlet boxes in the rafters so I could run 5 lights and maybe a retractable extension cord if needed.  

I have a ridiculous number of 8' fixtures... Would be great to replace them. I don't want to hang down a fixture thought, I want it to mount to the ceiling.

Everything is two screws away from being surface mount.

11 hours ago, Juiceman said:

Everything is two screws away from being surface mount.

You cant surface mount these, they have to hang.

that's what she said.

I snagged a coupla cases of 4 foot LED tubes on closeout at Lowes recently, $40 for 16 of them, that'd be two fiddy a tube if my adding machine be working right.  :paul:

not sure if that really relates to this thread or not, just had to put it out there.  :mrgreen: