JDogg

Assist or full hydro?

So years ago I screwed up my steering box when I drilled and tapped for assist, drilled the lower hole too high and couldn't get the threads to hold.

Trying to figure out what I want to do, get another new box and drill and tap /or send it to westtexasoffroad, or just go full hydro and find all the stuff I need for that. 

Currently running a wag44 with 37s on recentered H1s. But I have a dana60 that will be going in when I blow up the 44. I don't ever plan to run bigger than a 40" tire.  Trail use only, trailered everywhere.

I have a single ended surplus center ram,  and mounts already burned onto the 44. 

What would MEOW do?  Assist or hydro?need help finding an orbital valve and related parts if I go that way.

If you have all the assist stuff on hand already, I would get a junk yard box and give it a go again. 

I bet Paul has several boxes in Emporium. Pick up 2 just in case you screw one up. I'm actually thinking about going ram assist on my YJ, but I want to see how well it does with the switch from y-steering OTK to full cross over steering and a high steer arm. I don't know if I'll need ram assist or not yet.

I run the PSC hydro assist setup in my YJ with a Ford D60 on 43's.  Ram assist with high steer.

Didn't port the original box.  Just sprung for the ported PSC box.   System works flawlessly.

11 hours ago, kloppk said:

I run the PSC hydro assist setup in my YJ with a Ford D60 on 43's.  Ram assist with high steer.

Didn't port the original box.  Just sprung for the ported PSC box.   System works flawlessly.

If I ever go that route I'll probably spend the money and buy a full kit. I don't know that much about it yet, but what I've read sounds like if you don't match the components at least a little bit you won't get the full benefit and could have issues.

Roger, next time your up my place check out tractor Dave’s setup on his YJ.

I think it’s all PSC hydro assist. It works well. He’s happy with it.

4 minutes ago, FrankTheDog said:

Roger, next time your up my place check out tractor Dave’s setup on his YJ.

I think it’s all PSC hydro assist. It works well. He’s happy with it.

I'll have to check his out. Jon in my club just added hydro assist to his YJ, but did the drill and tap route to the stock box. I want to see how his performs also since his is probably only 1/5 of the price of the PSC kits out there.

Just asked him. Full PSC kit with new steering box. His old box was shot so that’s why he did it that way.

Bought it from A to Z Fab.

@Tjlongworth

Tom has made a few of them.  He loves tapping boxes

So far Ive drilled and tapped 10 boxes with great success.

I set them up on my Bridgeport and use a carbide end mill to make the holes. the end mill leaves a much nicer hole to tap.

the key for the threads is to have 2 taps. 1 to start the hole, and the other cut about 1/3 up to finish off the hole. the thin tab hole can be pretty tricky to get the threads right. I tap the holes to the fittings to get the best fit possible.

the last box I did, I played around with taking a 1/4 ball end mill and machining the bottom of the hydraulic 90 so I wouldn't lose as much flow through the shallow vein near the end cap.  I just removed material off one side of the fitting, maybe 1/6...

Hope this helps some. if you were closer id say come over and hang out and ill do it while you wait

Where are you located? It may just be worth the drive. 

I did do the 2 tap system. The only part I screwed up was the bottom hole was a hair too high and when I ran the tap in It hit something inside, pushed the tap sideways, and ruined the threads. 

35 minutes ago, JDogg said:

Where are you located? It may just be worth the drive. 

I’m thinking the same thing if I decide to go this route