Sign in to follow this  
JayZR2

Exhaust manifold vs Headers

NEOW first and all that

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4.8. ~185K. I hope to  own the truck for another 2 or 3 years at least if it doesn't rot out from under me.

Exhaust manifold is leaking. Has been for a couple months but just started throwing a P0158 code. It also needs a muffler. I'm considering putting some headers on it because, why not?

The truck does have an EGR valve. Do they make headers that will accommodate that? Would I gain or lose anything if I  delete it? Will it throw a code if I do? I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to pass MA emissions anymore being over 15 years old. It's a 4.8 I'm not exactly looking to set any land speed records with it but a few extra hp for towing would be nice.

Jerry this is not the aforementioned car horror story I texted you about. That one is even better because it's not my car.

Oh yeah.  I forgot to call you.

Yes, they make headers for that.  Yes, there are ways you can circumvent the EGR trouble code issues if you want to delete it.  Mind you that I don't do any work like that, because it's explicitly a violation of federal law to tamper with emissions equipment.  Likewise, I don't do any tuning, that's also against the law and will get a repair shop into a lot of trouble with The Man.

Headers are EPA compliant, lots of people go that way and they work just fine.  Bolt awn affair, keep your old exhaust and everything.

6 minutes ago, JayZR2 said:

Is there anything to gain in deleting the EGR?

The wrath of a federal agency and environmentalists everywhere?

2003 and newer trucks don't have EGR valves.  FWIW.

It doesn't affect performance in any way, not on a seat of the pants gauge.  You'll never know if it's there or not, or working or not, but for a check engine light to light the way for you to the repair shop.

I have seen it done where the tech simply programs the 2001 PCM with 2003 software.   This supposedly works, though I have no direct experience in this regard, cuz EPA and straight and narrow and stuff.

3 minutes ago, Juiceman said:

2003 and newer trucks don't have EGR valves.  FWIW.

HA! Not true!  My '07 WK CRD has an EGR! :fishing:

I was referring to 03 and newer GM trucks, like Jay's.

:flip:

1 hour ago, Juiceman said:

I was referring to 03 and newer GM trucks, like Jay's.

:flip:

Sure... NOW you were talking about GM trucks...

i could kill you with one stroke of my borken LS9 piston.

59 minutes ago, Juiceman said:

i could kill you with one stroke of my borken LS9 piston.

But then I wouldn't be able to tell the phone call check up peons that I had a great service experience....  You'd lose your 5-star rating!

:P