Sign in to follow this  
CJKarl

Google WIFI

Thinking of expanding my connectivity. What's Google wifi all about? Would it replace my Comcrap router? I can't see Comcrap being very helpful with that.

Google Project Fi is their cell phone service. Is an MVNO cell carrier, so they just contract towers from other carriers. Fi includes wireless talk/text/data.

It won't replace wired internet in your home... For that you'd want Google Fiber, which isn't available around you.

5 hours ago, Jon W said:

Google Project Fi is their cell phone service. Is an MVNO cell carrier, so they just contract towers from other carriers. Fi includes wireless talk/text/data.

It won't replace wired internet in your home... For that you'd want Google Fiber, which isn't available around you.

This

https://store.google.com/product/google_wifi

Yeah, that isn't what I thought you were talking about.... that looks like a mesh Wifi solution.... There are other companies that make them.... essentially they use multiple Wifi stations to bounce signal back and forth wirelessly.  I don't know what the pricing is, but there are other companies who make similar solutions. The Google version may be very easy to setup though. I haven't really spent any time researching them because I wire everything I can w/ ethernet and have a couple high end wifi access points around the house.

4 minutes ago, Jon W said:

Yeah, that isn't what I thought you were talking about.... that looks like a mesh Wifi solution.... There are other companies that make them.... essentially they use multiple Wifi stations to bounce signal back and forth wirelessly.  I don't know what the pricing is, but there are other companies who make similar solutions. The Google version may be very easy to setup though. I haven't really spent any time researching them because I wire everything I can w/ ethernet and have a couple high end wifi access points around the house.

What are you using for the access points? I need something for my son's bedroom. Every place in the house is good except his room. From what I can tell the power (electric) may be interfering. The panel is directly below him and all the wiring chases up his wall. There is no real "electrical interference" per se, but when we check signal strength his room, particularly the front outside corner is significantly less than anywhere else in the house.

2 minutes ago, TJeepGuy said:

What are you using for the access points? I need something for my son's bedroom. Every place in the house is good except his room. From what I can tell the power (electric) may be interfering. The panel is directly below him and all the wiring chases up his wall. There is no real "electrical interference" per se, but when we check signal strength his room, particularly the front outside corner is significantly less than anywhere else in the house.

I use Ubiquiti Unifi AC LR wifi access points....  I have two in my house (1st floor and 2nd floor in opposite corners of the house) and I had to dial them down from full power. I have a 3rd one I plan to setup sometime in my building, but I haven't got there yet. Ubiquiti makes a great product, but they do require some advanced networking experience to setup. There are other models you may want to consider (Ubiquiti makes a bunch of variants) and they are all pretty reasonably priced and perform well. This is the model, though mine are a about 18 mo old:

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lr/

In general, if you've got anything 2.4 GHz (cordless phone, wireless cameras, etc...) or 5 GHz they can interfere with Wifi signal.... I'm not sure how power/AC/electrical could interfere with Wifi.... Is probably some other device or appliance, or distance from the wifi access point.

My thought for your situation (or Karl's) would be to maybe try a power line ethernet adapter which uses the regular AC wiring in the house. From the powerline adapter you can plug in a switch in his room to wire stuff, or setup another wifi access point. I've read about these a few times and they seem to have improved a lot in terms of performance in the last few years.

I'm not sure how power could either. I dont have a spectrum analyser, but I did troubleshoot the old fashion way using an AM radio and there was only the normal noise you'd expect to hear. The only other thing close to that corner would be the electric meter. I dont know what frequency that transmits on. 

I was thinking about the power line adapter but was only familiar with the earlier generation ( re: early 2000s) gear. A lot of that stuff did not work as expected.  Thanks.

I find the reviews on smallnetbuilder.com are usually pretty good. It would be worth checking them to see what the latest power line adapters are.

Another thought... If you have coax run to his room you could try a Moca adapter to run Ethernet over coax.

1 hour ago, Jon W said:

I find the reviews on smallnetbuilder.com are usually pretty good. It would be worth checking them to see what the latest power line adapters are.

Another thought... If you have coax run to his room you could try a Moca adapter to run Ethernet over coax.

I'd normally cat it but he uses his phone and iPad mostly. I may run a line anyway in that rare case he actually would use his laptop for homework.

Basement only has 4-5 mbps. Just going to run a patch cable.