tripm

Tow Dolly and wheelbase

2 hours ago, FrankTheDog said:

The uhaul tow dolly has surge brakes. Master cylinder mounted on the tongue.

I pulled a VW westfalia from Knoxville to CT with my 1998 XJ. Luckily it was interstate the intire way. Never went over 50. I didn’t know until we got there that they weighed 4500 lbs. We weren’t coming back without it.

978DB703-F971-4575-BFC5-FEA3D6CD4657.jpeg

Had one of those towed to my shop once.  Tow operator put it on the flatbed backwards, just because of where it was and stuff.  Little did any of us know that it's not designed to do highway speeds in reverse.  Fiberglass top came flying off that prick and landed in the road.  that was a big opps.

I had dog wagging issues trying to use a V8 WJ to tow a samurai on Scerb's tow dolly. He had never had trouble with the tow dolly before, so I was either loading it wrong or the wheelbases were always going to be out to get me. It was a pretty beat Samurai too. On the way to Fall Crawl I couldn't go over about 50. On the way home I could do 60 until I hit a decent bump and it all started again.

I flat towed a Comanche with out engine or trans from Virginia to CT and I couldnt get over 40 mph without it going into a death wobble. Let me tell you, 40 mph on the Jersey Turnpike on Labor Day weekend is no fun. I dragged it all the way home with out a plate on it and never got pulled over.

0B91011B-C68E-45B2-A0EB-886EA8727F23.jpeg

Twice ive driven medium duty trucks from the south to the north with blown headgaskets at similar speeds. 

You get plenty of time to take in the scenery.  Days of it.

I towed my Toy pickup with my dad's '06 Ford Ranger ext cab for a season or two on a tow dolly.  It was really only 15min back and forth to Field and Forrest or Wambus so not a large distance and no traffic.  It wasn't super sketchy, but I wouldn't go much further than that.  Plenty of power and it even stopped ok, but a bit of sway above 45mph.

16 hours ago, TJ said:

Don't you know anyone with a proper tow rig that you could bribe with secks or a steak dinner to make the trip?

It's a 3 day weekend in Maine. I'd have to both bribe and pay for a hotel for a few days. 

I could alternatively pay $100 and use my Toyota for the event but then I'd be fodder for jokes forever. Also, I've never left the event without some pretty good body damage and not sure I want to deal with that on my DD.

21 hours ago, FrankTheDog said:

I didn’t know until we got there that they weighed 4500 lbs.

I have one of those as well!  You know the weight when you're trying to stop it with crappy brakes and 14 inch tires.