Sign in to follow this  
cmerrick

Hitch recommendations

Any recommendations for replacement hitches? This is for a 2006 GMC 3500.

I sent my truck out to the body guy last week for a general rehab to resolve any rust issues like on the bottom of doors, frame, body rub areas, etc. Apparently the factory hitch is junk and needs replacement.  

I have had great luck ordering aftermarket name brand hitches (Curt, Hidden Hitch, etc...) from etrailer.com.... at this point I've ordered hitches for 3-4 vehicles a bunch of trailer parts and they've had a good selection, decent prices, and good shipping deals. They also have a lot of nice install info/How To videos for specific hitches/vehicles on the site so you can see what you're getting into and the customer service on the phone has been very good when I've called them.

Edited by Jon W

If you want to spend local, RH Scales is next to petes tire barn off cottage street in spfld.. same side road the john boyle oreilly is on. Commerce st?  B.E.Crowley on the corner.  They sell all things trailer, and are good about in stock. 

When I got the Yukon I have now it had a rotted cross tube on the hitch, I cut it out and welded in a cross tube out of a 1 ton ford van the width was perfect for welding between the side plates of the factory hitch.

leave your boyfriend out of this.

Put a new Chinese bumper (black) from Amazon and a Curt hitch from etrailer on the truck last night.

The bumper went on great, brackets all fit perfectly. I upgraded to a beefier hitch for an extra few $$. 10k compared to whatever is factory, 7k? It's beefy and fit perfectly. Very happy.

The original hitch rotted and broke in 2 places pulling my tractor out of a snow bank. It took the bumper brackets with it. Honestly I'm glad it broke in my driveway as opposed to pulling 6k down the interstate.