Sign in to follow this  
CJKarl

Electric Trailer Brakes

Going to pick up the kids tractor my trailer brakes engaged a couple times while driving. It's very wet and misty out. I'm assuming some connection is getting wet. Pulled over and sprayed the turd out of everything with silicone. Any hing else I should check?

My first guess is that the trailer is empty but the brake sensitivity is set to more weight. That combined with the wet roads will make them engage and slide.

What Rick said... I usually disconnect the brake controller when the trailer is empty if I'm only going to be on secondary roads or it locks up the tires all the time, even on low settings.

Mine was locking up on the way to gonzo's place,walked back to check what was up and thunk thunk the wheel bearing was super loose. Not sure if it was related, or just dumb luck that I checked it.

Edited by JDogg

It's not the light weight issue as I tow this half the time empty. I definitely dial the controllr way back when the trailer is empty. Brakes were engaging with no brake pedal being pushed. 

Made it hone with the machine. I just dialed the controller to zero for 99% of the driving and cranked it up when stopping. It only acted up one more time when stopping to grab a cup o joe.

The ol Gray Ghost has 4 wheel disc so stopping any time except an emergency is never a problem. 

Other than wet wiring I'm not sure... The controller is supposed to have a brake pedal connection so it only engages when you're applying the brakes in the truck (e.g. when the brake lights come on). Check the wiring there/under your dash?

Flaky or mis-adjusted brake light switch? Maybe the Ghost's brake lights ARE coming on while driving.

1 hour ago, wetskier2000 said:

Flaky or mis-adjusted brake light switch? Maybe the Ghost's brake lights ARE coming on while driving.

As in possessed by Satan?

Maybe a wire rubbing the frame causing them to come on? di-electric grease all the connectors after letting them dry out. 

2 hours ago, wetskier2000 said:

i'm going with this here.

I will check into it. .......when it stops raining.......Sunday maybe.

16 hours ago, CJKarl said:

The ol Gray Ghost has 4 wheel disc so stopping any time except an emergency is never a problem. 

I did $17,000 worth of damage to my old dodge with that same thinking towing my cj to a deepwoods truck show

2 hours ago, rich s said:

I did $17,000 worth of damage to my old dodge with that same thinking towing my cj to a deepwoods truck show

What model?