Sign in to follow this  
Scerb

door hinges

Does anyone actually use a chisel to make door hinge pockets or is it time for me to buy a router?  First one took me about 1/2hr and looks meh.... 5 more to go.  I like buying tools....

Buy the jig and router

One of my childhood memories, watching a carpenters, Ken Chapman, cut in a hinge with a very sharp chisel. Back in the days of craftsmanship. 

If I buy a router, I want to get exactly the one I want, which is backordered.  Convinced myself the doors won't fit on the Bridgeport... chiselled out a 2nd hinged and it was much faster and better.  4 more to go.... I still like steel better.

Only 4 more hinges.  Just chisel it

10 hours ago, massxj said:

Buy the jig and router

The jig, use it.

A GOOD chisel like a Marples or something like that.....unless you are going to do it professionally......You will get better and faster. Score the lines with a razorknife, hit the ends vertically with the chisel, and then take out the meat in the middle, easy peasy....

I just hung a new door at the Montville rental a few weeks ago. I have a set of chisels and use them. If I was a carpenter at all or planned to do a lot of that kind of work I would go with the router just because it would look nicer.

I own the 60's version of a hinge jig most of the hinges I've done over the last 35 years have had square corners unless I'm doing a house full of doors I do it with a chisel. I use a Stanley hinge scribe tool, GOOD chisel razor sharp, and it goes fast. The scribing tool a sharp razor knife and a sharp chisel are all you need. I still hang and rehang doors, learn to do it with a chisel. 

I appreciate that!  By the time my dad told me he had a router, I finished chiseling the hinges - I'm effective enough at it now.  But I did buy the template and borrow my dads router for the door latches, those such with a chisel.  Finished this project a while ago it seems!

Edited by Scerb