Sign in to follow this  
JayZR2

Chevy shake?

Anyone with a 2014 and up have it? Or heard of it. Friend of mine is doing battle with GM over it down in GA. I guess it's a well documented issue and several people have tried balancing tires, new tires, new drive shafts, new differentials, even a new axle etc etc. Sometimes it fixes it for good sometimes for a few weeks sometimes not at all.

“The seats start vibrating, the floorboard vibrates – it feels like a wheel’s out of balance”. That’s how Mike Hollingsworth describes driving his 2016 Chevrolet Silverado, reports KSHB.

The retired Kansas resident spends most of his time traveling in his truck, and says he gets nervous when driving on the highway since the vehicle rattles, making him wonder if the truck is going to break down The condition earned it the “Chevy Shakerado” nickname.

Hollingsworth bought the Silverado new and states that the shaking began within weeks of driving it off the lot. Since he bought it new, he didn’t take it for a test drive, which he now regrets not doing.

Hollingsworth took his Silverado to the dealership where he purchased it. The store’s service department tested the truck, and the technicians said that the amount of shaking was within an acceptable range for the vehicle.

“I get to drive a truck that shakes,” says Hollingsworth. He told KSHB that he recently took his truck back to the dealership, at which point an employee drove with him on the highway and recognized that the truck does, in fact, shake. It isn’t clear what will be done to fix the issue.

Other owners of GM’s trucks on the GMT-K2 platform — model year 2014 and newer Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra — report having the same experience as Hollingsworth. Various publicly-available videos show the trucks exhibiting similar behavior. One such customer is Bill Burdette, whose YouTube video shows him driving his truck on the highway while his keys rattle and water visibly vibrates in the cupholder.

There have also been various complaints filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). One customer states that his truck has been at the dealer for over two weeks with no tangible outcome.

Another owner wrote, “This truck has vibrated since day one. It has been at the dealer for over 17 days. The tires were balanced and the dealer informs me at this point that the truck falls into what GM finds acceptable.”

Another owner reports having his truck at the dealer nearly a dozen times without any results.

“I’ve been dealing with the same vibration issue since November 2015, it is now March 2017. It has been in the shop 10 times without any results.”

It is unclear whether the issues are limited to models with certain engines, transmissions, axles or other configurations. GM has so far been mum on the matter.

I have a 2015, and have had zero issues with vibrations.  That truck is perfect.

I haven't heard from other owners about this issue.  I could check with my dealership friends, if necessary.

First rule of vibration:  identify the frequency.  Transmission, driveline vibrations will occur at a frequency several times higher than wheel speed vibrations.   What your friend has in that video is a wheel speed vibration, so it's a tire, wheel, axle hub, etc.   A bent axle can cause this kind of disturbance, it's rare but it happens.  Typically, a vibration that severe has to come from the thing with the most centrifugal force, and that's the tire/wheel assy.  A brake rotor, for example, despite spinning at the same speed as the wheel, won't make the truck vibrate.  It doesn't have enough force due to its smaller diameter and mass.

I've dealt with a lot of vibrations like this.  If wheel balancing or match mounting tires doesn't solve it, you go out into the lot, find a new truck and drive it to see if it has the same vibration.  If the new truck drives perfectly, you bring it in the shop, steal the wheels/tires off it, and put them on the customer's truck and go drive it with those wheels/tires.  In just about every case I can think of, the customer vehicle then drives like a new truck, which means there is SOMETHING wrong with their tires or wheels.

"Yeah, but I balanced them already" is something I've heard more than enough times.  You can balance a square tire, that doesn't mean it will roll smoothly.  All dealerships have radial force balancing equipment, it's mandatory, but not every dealer tech is trained on how to use it effectively.  Your friend should have a GM customer service case already opened, and he should have a GM field engineer at the dealership, working with the tech to identify and solve the vibration.  GM has excellent tech resources and tools to find vibrations, if the tech has never been to vibration diagnosis class, the engineer should be familiar with the procedure.

That's not his video, just a random one on ewetoob. I believe they are already at the lawyers and lemon law stage. His truck has been back to the dealer more than 5 times for the same issue. His is also a 1500 and yours is a 2500 right?

But it's not just him. There are hundreds of people with the same issue and GM doesn't really have an answer for them.

Edited by JayZR2

I do have a 2500, on 20" rims, and those two things combined generally create vibrations like a prick, but mine is smooth as glass.

Which has me wondering if this vibration isn't something isolated to the 1500:  8 speed auto, displacement on demand are the two things that come to mind.  I'd disable the DOD and see if that changes the vibe, and also shift the gears manually at speed to see if the vibe changes.

I am available for road service calls, particularly to Florida in January and February.

I know a guy that got a new 2500.  Dealer put 9 sets of tires on it. 700 miles of road test.  Paid his first payment and gave him a bunch of free scheduled maintenance 

25 minutes ago, heavysquad said:

My ex girlfriend didn't like the samurai because the rough ride made her fancy cans bounce too much perhaps I could have called Suzuki? 

In 1988 maybe, but you would've been what 5 or 6?

Mr. Newton, with your ties to GM I thought you would've already heard about this.

There are a handful of TSB's relative to vibrations, but there always are.  Vibrations are a persistent issue that I think all brands deal with, and GM has not been immune to that. 

There are some that talk about a vibration in V4 mode (when some of the cylinders cut out at highway speeds).  There are some that talk about wheel issues on one tons.  There are some that talk about if you have spent three days working on a vibration and haven't figured it out yet, call GM engineering so they can get involved.  And so on.

Lots of dealer techs don't bother to read the bulletins, sad to say.  Too bad for them, because GM is trying hard to help them fix stuff, but if you aren't smart enough to use all your resources, and your dealership management isn't getting involved and making you do it, the customer just takes it in theass.  They have sophisticated equipment to figure out exactly what a vibration is, and what to do about it, but you have to want to use the resources that are provided.

1 hour ago, heavysquad said:

My ex girlfriend didn't like the samurai because the rough ride made her fancy cans bounce too much perhaps I could have called Suzuki? 

Friend of mine tells the story of the YJ he bought used with ~500 mi on it... Salesman told him the college girls would come in and buy the Jeeps (YJs), but then return them cause their num-nums bounced around too much and they didn't like it.

We see vibration issues with the Tacoma’s. Started in 05 and hasn’t changed for 17. They have updated leaf springs to change joint angle. Also had plenty of tire issues from the factory. Usually swap tires off another one and see if it goes away.

I wonder if the increase in higher strength steel in the body’s and frames have anything to do with transmitting of vibrations