Sign in to follow this  
heavysquad

Gifts to get kids to get them into wrenching

Models, the kind you snap apart the pieces and put them together.  Anything that involves building, puzzling, figuring out how things work, taking it apart and putting it back together again.

Boys tend to naturally want to do this anyway, so it should be easy.  They'll disassemble their red wagon if you let them.

5 minutes ago, Juiceman said:

Models, the kind you snap apart the pieces and put them together.  Anything that involves building, puzzling, figuring out how things work, taking it apart and putting it back together again.

Boys tend to naturally want to do this anyway, so it should be easy.  They'll disassemble their red wagon if you let them.

This

Do they still make the erector set type stuff? Anything along those lines

Edited by calvynandhobbs

any construction related toys - stuff to build, kits, models, etc.

Hell - a box of random items and no instructions just on word like ""vehicle" or "structure"

I think simplicity is the right word... Some of the foo-foo items I've seen along these lines are just too complex and become intimidating to the kid. At 2 he's prolly a little young for an actual model as JFN suggested (although I REALLY like the idea) but Fisher-Price and the like have plenty of vehicles where the wheels can be swapped and other simply stuff... I'd look there..

I had a pipe fitter ask me the same thing

All my kid does is sit in front of a TV and play videogames I'd like to get him an erector set or something

I said why so he can work outside and with his hands for a living ? 

He reply was maybe I'll get him a computer

May be a little young for this but my oldest loved it when she got it at 3. Still uses it to this day. We have two sets that we build all over the house; kitchen table and chairs, down the stairs, desk to coffee table to floor. It can get loud in a room that echos a lot but its worth the look on their faces. 

Marble Run

Find a site with construction equipment - go and have lunch and watch.  Construction truck toys + BRRROOOOOOM! sounds = contribution.

Don't miss "Touch a Truck" events.

For my son, who is just about to turn 9. He now legitimately helps in the garage, but not with all things.

When he was younger, I gave him real tools. A hammer can be lot of fun. A real "drill" power screwdriver is good. Get the smallest and lightest possible. Scrap wood and trim nails.

Safety glasses, get them use to them now.

We found a tow truck, that comes with a toy "impact gun". Allows the child to assemble/disassemble the truck down to the frame....he wore that puppy out. Having trouble finding it on google right now, but I'll keep looking.

Legos, marna tiles, and building toys are good. However, you need to play with the child with them, otherwise it's pointless, as they aren't going read instructions etc.

For my son......destruction is easy. Let him break stuff, then figure out if it can be fixed. I gave him hard drives to destroy, old wooden structures to destroy. The process of getting stuff apart teaches them a lot.

Found it

https://www.amazon.com/Battat-Take-Part-Vehicles-Crane/dp/B00SGR3TWU/ref=dp_ob_title_toy

The impact gun gets annoying after a while, but it's a pretty cool concept, and I know my son loved it.