Sign in to follow this  
SCF

Jerusalem

Ok, can somebody explain this one to me, please?

I understand the whole moving of the embassy thing, and that it's current location has been an "agreement" for decades.

What are we as a country GAINING in this move?!?!  Spending millions of dollars to construct, support, deconstruct old embassy.  Not to mention that the media is bellowing that the middle east is going to fawking implode, so they might be able to just push it enough to make it so.

What am I missing!?

It's too big, and I don't get it.

It's about time for Belben to come around, though, and tell us how this is all Kruschev era prophecy.

It's about politics and the perception that the US acknowledges Jerusalem and not Palestine (thank you Dems for discontinuing that one) vs. the display of acknowledgement by moving said office.

Action > Words

18 minutes ago, Sprocket said:

It's about politics and the perception that the US acknowledges Jerusalem and not Palestine (thank you Dems for discontinuing that one) vs. the display of acknowledgement by moving said office.

Action > Words

^This.

US law actually recognizes Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, but the US embassy never moved there. By moving the embassy there Trump claims he is just following what is written into law and ignores the political reality, which is countries that don't want to recognize Israel see the US keeping the embassy in Tel Aviv as a symbolic olive branch of support. Apparently the US has been avoiding a move of the embassy for 20+ years by presidential waiver orders signed every 6 months by every previous president they were put in front of.

So, are we gaining anything? No, not really...

Is taking these actions possibly (probably) going to cause social unrest which will lead to violence and cause diplomatic problems with our allies in the middle east? Yes, it is...

Edited by Jon W

Oh Please..... We've always sided with Israel anyway. I say it's the past administrations that didn't get it right or more correctly, didn't have the BALLS to get it right. As for us getting anything from the move, probably not other than solidifying the fact that we support Israel first. If quirky Quebec actually did secede from Canada and our US/Canadian embassy was in Montreal???? What's the question?

Somebody smarter than me said (paraphrasing), "If the enemies of Israel laid down it's weapons there would be peace.  If Israel laid down it's weapons it would be gone in hours."

18 minutes ago, Sprocket said:

Somebody smarter than me said (paraphrasing), "If the enemies of Israel laid down it's weapons there would be peace.  If Israel laid down it's weapons it would be gone in hours."

That is the reality.  And since that's the reality, I support doing "something" instead of our pattern of doing "nothing."

1 hour ago, Juiceman said:

It's too big, and I don't get it.

It's about time for Belben to come around, though, and tell us how this is all Kruschev era prophecy.

"KJU couldn't have destabilized the middle east this much if he tried" was the text I got from him this AM. And I agree. 

Passive aggressive management is pervasive in the gov - why take action, good or bad, things are running just fine from where I sit on my fat bum and suc a teet.

I sense a war a brewing, intentional or unintentional ?  I do not know.

4 hours ago, SCF said:

War = $$$

Yes, good for some, bad for others.