Scerb

Remote start

I want to add remote start to our 2010 4runner.  I want to do the install myself.  I'm amazed at how little information there is online about installation - Compustar and Viper provide literally no documentation about their products.  Why?  It's tough to even find places to buy the hardware without also buying installation.

I'm very good with electronics and wiring diagrams, but I'm also expecting you can just buy adapter harnesses to make things plug and play.  I've found this for the immobilizer modules but not the remote start modules.

What am I missing and where do I find all this info?

I'd say to talk to Doug Stevens... he installed them. I haven't talked to him since they moved to Maine, so in not sure how to reach him.

Imho it’s a terrible idea to chop into a harness to put alarums and remote starters in. Unless there is plug and play I’d avoid it.

I installed an OEM  into wifeys Lezbaru. Plug n play, about 1.5hrs total. Easy peasy. Other than that, nope not happenin.

14 hours ago, FrankTheDog said:

Imho it’s a terrible idea to chop into a harness to put alarums and remote starters in. Unless there is plug and play I’d avoid it.

Yup. Have had cars come in after a few years with no starts....... 

I was at Foxwoods one time talking to the parking lot mechanics. They told me that they get a lot of cars with hacked in starters that are dead when gamblers try to leave after being there all day. This was while they were jumping my dads car with a hacked in starter.

I have the FSM for the 4runner, still can't believe there is no documentation available for the aftermarket start systems.  I understand what you are saying about hack wiring, but I know how to do not hack wiring so I'm not too worried about that.

There is a OEM remote start system, but it is discontinued and costs like $400 and everyone says it has horrible range and turns off when you open the door.  No one likes it.

Finally found some info.  Seems like Viper and Compustar are the most popular on Amazon, Best buy, etc but there is absolutely not documentation and I read they won't even talk to you on the phone if you're not a dealer.  Fair enough. 

I found Fortin who does an immobilizer and remote starter all in one with a T-harness. http://fortin.ca/  Still need to splice in a few wires, but stuff like parking lights or horn, not the ignition stuff.  And they have extensive instructions specific to each model.  I got it on order, now I need to figure out how to install it without the wife noticing before xmas.

All the Toyota remote starts shut off when you unlock and open the door. Even the aftermarket can’t bypass that now. I just put a Fortin evo-all in my Tacoma. Uses the factory fob but has the option to add a RF kit. Distance is enough for work and Home that’s all I cared about. Had to buy the programmer from fortin though. 

If you look into it Viper, Avital, and a few others all use the same module just branded under the different company’s 

1 hour ago, Scerb said:

Finally found some info.  Seems like Viper and Compustar are the most popular on Amazon, Best buy, etc but there is absolutely not documentation and I read they won't even talk to you on the phone if you're not a dealer.  Fair enough. 

I found Fortin who does an immobilizer and remote starter all in one with a T-harness. http://fortin.ca/  Still need to splice in a few wires, but stuff like parking lights or horn, not the ignition stuff.  And they have extensive instructions specific to each model.  I got it on order, now I need to figure out how to install it without the wife noticing before xmas.

I used Fortin on my 2008 Durango.  They offered a separate T harness for mine that eliminated any vehicle splicing.  I did have to connect two wires together in their harness based on how I was using it.  Works pissah!  I married it to DroneMobile cell/gps  remote receiver.  Now I know where the truck is anytime I want plus can start it from anywhere.  Can also see temp in vehicle and lock/unlock all from my cellphone.  I believe there is a battery maint. mode also that will auto start it every week if I wanted to set that up. 

I know that GM vehicles do not play well with aftermarket remote starters. Something about voltage drop across the ignition and the security system will shut down the vehicle and make it act all wacky. I asked Jerry about a factory unit that I could install in my truck...... $750. Yeah I'll just walk outside and start it myself thank you very much. 

When I worked at a dodge dealer (years ago now) I use to install aftermarket remote starters and they were a pain in the bum. Wiring it, getting it to work with a chipped key, getting it to play well with other aftermarket electronics, etc. Granted technology has come a long/fair way since then. 

The wife has a factory installed unit in her CRV. Works flawlessly every time. 

15 hours ago, Scerb said:

There is a OEM remote start system, but it is discontinued and costs like $400 and everyone says it has horrible range and turns off when you open the door.  No one likes it.

Sounds like the OEM starter in my Mazda 3.... Except it was more like $800.

I have a company that comes to my shop and installs them.  Lifetime warranty, if there's ever an issue, they handle it fast.   They do some of the best installs I've seen, and they're pretty fast.

Depends on model of car, but usually it's $400-500 installed.  All I have to do is make the appointment, he shows up, and it's done in an hour or so.

Just bought a Fortin from Amazon for my daughters 2015 Escape.  Came pre-programmed so no need to buy a programmer.  $100 to my door.  Suppose to be all plug and play except for two connections to the ODB port harness for the remote start function.  I suspect if I hook up the parking lights it'll require a tap or splice.

" Santa" now has to put it in.