Sign in to follow this  
wetskier2000

2 post lift bolts??

Resisted the urge to buy an inspection camera and used a poor man's method of confirming where the former kneewall is located. I knew the old 3 bay garage was 24x34 so measuring from the original, opposite kneewall said the old former kneewall was under the new floor. I also dug around a bit in the hole the anchor pulled out of with a screwdriver and could "feel" the inside face of the kneewall below the new floor.

I got a reply from Mohawk on epoxies that said they've never certified any. I know you guys have had success,  but since I have an option to install it as the manufacturer says, I'm going that way. If I move the post just 4 inches, I'll be in several FEET of concrete. Probably worth noting that my Mohawk System 1A DOES NOT have any overhead bar.

I suspect I'll need to order 10 or 12" anchors on the interweb and that HD and Lowe's won't have them.

37 minutes ago, heavysquad said:

Will you have to move the other side? 

Nope, still within manufacturer specs and the overhead hydraulic line already has the room to spare. I've never put a vehicle on with a need for longer arms. Prolly the longest reach is the CJ-5.

2 hours ago, wetskier2000 said:

I know you guys have had success,  but since I have an option to install it as the manufacturer says, I'm going that way.

Can't argue with that. 

36 minutes ago, SKEETER said:

Does the new holes being so close to the old holes have an impact according to Mohawk?

I did not specifically ask that, but their acceptable distance to the end of the slab is called out as 1.5". I'll be 4" from any previous holes, but I will pose that question.

Also, I suspect the anchors that take the most abuse are the outboard set with the vehicle hanging on the opposite side.  The outboard set are the new ones that will be anchored in the former kneewall.  The other 4 will be new also, but the standard 5" in the floor models.

On 11/29/2017 at 12:42 PM, SKEETER said:

Two pages and still no Karl?

Day late and a dollar short.

On 12/1/2017 at 9:21 AM, wetskier2000 said:

Resisted the urge to buy an inspection camera and used a poor man's method of confirming where the former kneewall is located. I knew the old 3 bay garage was 24x34 so measuring from the original, opposite kneewall said the old former kneewall was under the new floor. I also dug around a bit in the hole the anchor pulled out of with a screwdriver and could "feel" the inside face of the kneewall below the new floor.

I got a reply from Mohawk on epoxies that said they've never certified any. I know you guys have had success,  but since I have an option to install it as the manufacturer says, I'm going that way. If I move the post just 4 inches, I'll be in several FEET of concrete. Probably worth noting that my Mohawk System 1A DOES NOT have any overhead bar.

I suspect I'll need to order 10 or 12" anchors on the interweb and that HD and Lowe's won't have them.

Grainger

Fastenal

Do you have an AH Harris up there?

Wedge bolts are pretty standard, so is epoxy. Surprised the lift co won't spec any. If you do go epoxy follow directions, CLEAN THE DAMN HOLE, and when you put the epoxy in the hole make sure you hit bottom 1st. If not when you stick yer bolt in her hole the air pressure will drive the epoxy up and out of the hole. You need to e a s e it in, nice and slow, with a gentle twisting action.

We have AH Harris in Manchester, I've bought stuff there. The guys I worked with were experts in the products they sold, I was very impressed.

Plan is changing... The Mohawk guy reminded me to check the overall width versus the specs. I would have sworn I was under the max width, but it seems I'm just over. So much for using the kneewall to anchor unless I want to move the other post also..  So, now I plan to move the wonky post inward instead. If I move it 7 3/4", I can reuse the 2 side anchors as the new 2 corner outboard anchors. I will test the torque setting on those first, of course... Then I'll drill 5 new holes, all at least 7" from old ones to secure the rest.  I'll  still have plenty of room between the posts and the lift arms for anything I own.

Moving the 900 lb post around could prove a challenge... hmmmm...

30 minutes ago, wetskier2000 said:

Moving the 900 lb post around could prove a challenge... hmmmm...

You have a GoPro, right? You could use your phone, but something that can handle a fall would be better...

Sawzalled all the anchor studs that were not being reused then tapped just  below floor level. I'll fill the little holes with something gooey, but for now creatures are blocked by the steel.  Wonky post moved and bolted down on the outboard corners with the former center/side anchor studs. No NEOWers were hurt in the making of this move. (sorry)

Need to do 5 new 3/4 holes and anchor the thing completely again. Thank goodness the lift will be back in operation. It's only been how long? And I miss the damn thing already. I'm spoiled.