Sign in to follow this  
wetskier2000

2 post lift bolts??

So when you tighten what appears to be a loose nut on your two post lift floor mount and this happens. Is it bad? :blankblink: Proper fixes??

Lift_bolt.jpg

I had that style bolt

When I had new 2 post lifts installed to replace my in ground cylinder lifts at my repair shop they cut out the existing flooring and poured new 3x3 or 4x4' pads.  Once properly cured they installed the lifts and then drilled the floor for the bolts.  Used epoxy in the holes and then put the studs in.  I'd just get whatever Karl recommends.

Easy fix as long as the concrete is not cracked around the bolt hole.  You can buy those anchors at Home Depot or lowes.  The two wedge pieces are probably still in the hole and you will need to fish out.  Make sure the hole is sized within the tolerances for the new anchor.

Or you can buy concrete anchor epoxy (also at Home Depot or Lowes) and glue in the same type of stud (without the wedges).  Again the hole needs to be within specified tolerances.

1 hour ago, Scerb said:

Or you can buy concrete anchor epoxy (also at Home Depot or Lowes) and glue in the same type of stud (without the wedges).  Again the hole needs to be within specified tolerances.

^This. Its a two part epoxy, sets quick, use some threaded rod. This is what we do with all of our larger equipment at work. 

22 minutes ago, jeeping1974 said:

^This. Its a two part epoxy, sets quick, use some threaded rod. This is what we do with all of our larger equipment at work. 

I'll wager a guess that I can find load ratings on both the epoxy and the previously spec'd "bolts". Bolting equipment to the floor is one thing, but bolting a lift to the floor that's holding 4000lbs above my head could be another... dunno...

Who installed it?

If you paid someone to do it I'd call them and explain the anchor came out and ask what to do about it. If there was an accident and it could be shown the anchors were installed incorrectly they'd be liable, so they might be interested in working with you to fix this one and verify the others.

2 minutes ago, Jon W said:

Who installed it?

If you paid someone to do it I'd call them and explain the anchor came out and ask what to do about it. If there was an accident and it could be shown the anchors were installed incorrectly they'd be liable, so they might be interested in working with you to fix this one and verify the others.

I already called that cawksucker!! He told me to fawk off.

30 minutes ago, wetskier2000 said:

I already called that cawksucker!! He told me to fawk off.

I'm actually less than surprised about that.

How come you decided to tighten the nut.

When I first installed ( not my current garage) every 6 months I would check the nuts. not knowing any better I would retorque them to spec. a few years went by and I picked up my fathers 2500. one of the wedge anchors popped a chunk out of the concrete.

I didnt fix the floor since i was moving a couple months later. When i setup the car lift in my new garage, I poured a brand new floor with very large pads for the lift. 4x4 x 2 ft thick.. i purchased my wedge anchors from rey jurgans ( spelling may be off ) they specialize in automotive lifts. when I asked them the proper way to check the anchors; they say torque once and then just make sure the nuts are snug from there on out.

If you keep re-torquing them i guess over time it draws the taper through the collar compressing the concrete

with that said is the hole all the way to dirt ?

if you get a new anchor is it snug in the hole, or does it have a case of the weeble wobbles ?

I would epoxy in a piece of threaded rod / call it a day

10 hours ago, wetskier2000 said:

I'll wager a guess that I can find load ratings on both the epoxy and the previously spec'd "bolts". Bolting equipment to the floor is one thing, but bolting a lift to the floor that's holding 4000lbs above my head could be another... dunno...

I'd bet the epoxy and threaded rod would have a higher load rating than those style anchors. With what is available for epoxy and threaded rod out there (not what is just at HD and Lowes) you could hold some very serious weight.

We've had some less than intelligent folks work for us in the past that have tested the strength of anchors and threaded rod. From what I was told, the threaded rod did better.