wetskier2000

Extending an I-beam??

That's basically what I'm thinking. Also looking at the bridge supports just south of us... same method only REALLY BIG! I'd sure like to find the equation for the length of the plates instead of guessing.

The other thing is that if these joints should fail, the worst that will happen is someone might get wet or possibly skin their knee. No one is normally underneath the ramp.

Have 2 c-channel pieces of aluminum bent to fit snugly in either side of the I-beam and add rivets...or bolts.  

I can weld or huck bolt them. Your choice.

27 minutes ago, grendel said:

I can weld or huck bolt them. Your choice.

Interesting.. Are your larger huck bolts aluminum by chance? And if not, could I just purchase some large alum ones that would work in your frame, serious ball shocking, big gun?

I have 3/4" aluminum huck bolts and a gun to drive them.

4 minutes ago, grendel said:

I have 3/4" aluminum huck bolts and a gun to drive them.

Those ought to hold it together. I'll work in the other specifics and keep you posted. Maybe if we get a warm spell at some time this winter.

Thanks,

Consdering that they're rated for 174Klbs of shear force across a 8" square section, I'd hope so.  They use them for big rig suspension.

Edited by grendel

I-beams and bar stock ordered. I went with 0.5x5 rounded corner bar stock. The opening between the I-beam flanges is ~5 1/4 with a radius on the inside corners. With a little luck it should fit pretty nicely. The total depth of the holes thru the plates and I-beam web will be 1 1/4".

If you ordered aluminum stock I'd bet you can use a router with a carbide bit on it if you need to bevel the edge on one side to make it fit against the webbing.... I used a router to machine the opening for some aluminum Hummer H2 wheels so they'd fit on a Dodge wheel bearing... worked beautifully. Made a big mess for the shop vac though.

Edited by Jon W

That would beat the hell out of filing the corner by hand, wouldn't it? If the router were mounted in a table, even better,,,

Likewise, I have not welded alum nor do I have the talent. It's getting bolted together.

you get some pretty good stuff done for a guy with no talent.  or, as ty said, don't sell yourself short, judge.  you're a tremendous slouch.

but yeah, no, seriously, you get some good stuff done.