wetskier2000

Extending an I-beam??

How can two Alum I-beams be butted to each other and connected? I've seen scant details on bolting thru a plate on each side of the web (the upright, center portion of the I) but nothing that calls out how much the load is compromised over an I-beam without a "plated" seam or specs for the size of the plates. I suspect I'm not searching for the right words.

Sent Marchie a peem.  He's an engineer.

"I-beams" are actually called W-Sections in the engineering world. That may help your search. 

What are you trying to do with it?

You'll need a beam stretcher. 

I need to make a 24' beam into a 32' beam. It currently supports a fraction of it's capacity. I can look up the capacity for the longer beam as 1 piece and it still is only a fraction of the capacity, but for butted together, I have no data (or idea).

...and you last 2 guys... Huck You!

My dads barn and house are both supported by salvaged I-beams. Hired a welder, he came out and butt welded them. Nothing has moved in 40 years. W-section. I need to toss that around the job and sound like I  know turd.

butt welded with fish plates will be your strongest connection. I'd bet your not going to find much on alum connections online, they just aren't used much in the structural world.

What are you trying to support? what size w sections?

Is plating necessary? I though a good weld was as strong the existing material?

It the good part that is not always so easy.  Plate is cheap insurance 

Getting them welded would probably be impossible. These I-beams support my ramp to the dock. They are 6x4x0.21x0.35. 

google aircraft wing spar and wing spar cap.  They are heavily riveted together with bucked or huck style rivets...no weld joints. Im sure you could apply something similar.