HEEPJEEP

Maybe start a "campground"?

Rachel and I have been scheming starting a mostly weekend only rustic "campground" in Canaan, NH...  Probably tenting, no hook ups (to start with), can bring a trailer or RV, and maybe a bath house or something eventually. Would people be interested in paying cheap price to stay and then have ~126 acres to 4 wheel or whatever on?  There's a ton of local Class VI legal wheeling trails, ponds, lakes, mountains to climb, hiking trails, snow mobile trails, etc.  There's several fuel stations around, decent source of food and restaurants.  Rachel might be willing to cook breakfasts or something.  There's already some trails on the land, but they need some serious 2WD wheeling to start the process to making them technical trails...

Edited by HEEPJEEP

2 minutes ago, jeeping1974 said:

You don't have enough on your plate?

I like the idea of it. 

Kind of hoping it would grow "organically".  More of another place for people to wheel and hang out.  Granted we would have to charge something to help offset the cost of the mortgage...  I'm not thinking anything crazy.  I would like to see if people would actually come and what they would pay.  We could have printed maps of local attractions, local wheeling trails, local hiking trails, local fuel stations, parts stores, restaurants, etc.

That's how I'd sell a wheeling park to the neighbors. "Camping with nature trails"

Flush toilets and a shower would be nice

Breakfast isn't a huge need for us when camping.

Put me down for 2 weekends a summer. 

27 minutes ago, heavysquad said:

That's how I'd sell a wheeling park to the neighbors. "Camping with nature trails"

Flush toilets and a shower would be nice

Breakfast isn't a huge need for us when camping.

Put me down for 2 weekends a summer. 

I could probably manage something, but septic systems are are not cheap...and then our taxes would get nuts...  Maybe porta potties to start with and showers...

OK!

Four wheeler, side by each, dirt bike friendly? Or just rigs?

How does insurance play in to this....

nvm.. I'll talk to you at home. haha

56 minutes ago, 79fordgirl said:

Four wheeler, side by each, dirt bike friendly? Or just rigs?

How does insurance play in to this....

nvm.. I'll talk to you at home. haha

Also,  you're serving breakfast...

6 hours ago, heavysquad said:

Also,  you're serving breakfast...

I guess thAt's alright. I love cooking!

You should talk to Bob at field and forest, he and Liza have it figured out. You might be able to work together too.

If the property has big rocks, the wheelers will come regardless of campground accommodations.  I would decide first if you want to be primarily a campground, or primarily a offroad park, because they are different things.  Back when I wheeled (before NEOW) I would have totally spent more than $10 for a day of hard wheeling.

21 hours ago, jeeping1974 said:

If I had something to Class VI road wheel,  the oldest with me. I think  she would have a blast. 

We bring eloise (3.5) with us and she loves it. She usuallysits on my lap, so she thinks shes Pretty cool.

Agree that Bob and Liza would be the ones to chat with....If you guys need help on some "work and wheel" weekends let us know.....I'd be down...Or up as the case would be...Always up for more places to wheel.

I'd pay for half as an investment.

As we purchased the campground (with the trails) as an existing entity, we honestly have so little insight into starting something like that from scratch.  Because the property has been a campground for 50 years or something, we're basically grandfathered in as a campground and recreation area in what is now a residentially zoned area.  I think town/neighbor issues are the biggest things to be prepared for, and that is my biggest worry...staying under the radar so as not to make waves with the neighbors. Wasn't there a big ATV/motorcycle campground in Canaan that closed about 5 years ago? I'd research what went wrong there before trying to do something similar in the same town. 

But as Scerb said, is it a campground? That will require some sort of monetary commitment. An off road park? Keep in mind, it will take a while to develop a trail network.  IMHO, 126 acres is on the small side to just open the place as an off-road park without restricting the numbers of wheelers you allow in the door at any given time. (That's why we always to pre-registrations for our events...to keep the numbers of rigs at a manageable level..but we only have wheeling on something like 80 acres.) 

That and it is totally a grind...it sounds like all skittles and beer (yay! wheeling every weekend with a bunch of people!), it's not. You are inviting 15 - 100 people who don't necessarily give a turd about you and your property to come camp and play in your backyard every weekend. Sure, it sounds good on paper. But if you're doing it every weekend...it's another job dealing with the public. And especially if the two of you are juggling two full time jobs plus another business AND a toddler?  To do it the way Bob and I do it (as primarily a busy every weekend event campground) is a commitment, and a complete lifestyle takeover (we don't do ANYTHING else on the weekends from mid May-October. Granted, our place is held together with bailing wire and duct tape, so that has something to do with that.) 

If you don't really care about keeping the place busy every weekend, and just are looking for a little extra bucks on the side you could do it the way Gretchen did it previously with F&F (or Harris Mountain now).  Hook up with the NEA, so those clubs can have pre-arranged access to the property, they pay you $10 or $20 a person or vehicle, and you can do other stuff on the weekends the NEA isn't there. There is a built in labor force (hopefully) there too. And an existing customer base which is nice. That way requires a little less hand-on on your part to get people in the door initially while building things up from scratch.  Just make sure you have plenty of trailer parking. ;)

Edited by LizaYJ