Sign in to follow this  
heavysquad

My 87 Suzuki Samurai

I first got her around 2007 or 2008 or so, I didn't own a digital camera and my phone was probably as high tech as Daves is now.  So no photos.  A buddy loaned me money and we bought it in a snow storm.  Drove it to a friends house as I lived near Boston and had no place to park it (I was 25 and really didn't think things through)  Driving it with the heat on, radio on, lights on, wipers on, it died at an intersection.  A jump start got it going again. still pounding with snow....  Pretty nervous ride.

My first operation was a gm alternator install, took all day, took 3 trips for parts and tools.

rattle can paint job, some questionable floor patches, had a felon weld me a bumper, that's a whole nother story!

Then it went to JFN for brakes.

Messing around in the woods the t case popped out of gear.  Made it home in 4wd turning 2 wheels.  I dropped the whole t case and took it to JFN thinking it was f'ed.  Turns out I just needed a new shifter seat, but we  he got it rebuilt with all new bearings.  

That summer we took it to its only organized wheeling a trip, a poker run.  We were up until 3am doing a bunch of little things like installing CB radios.  Had a blast, dropped a wheel off a rock and went up on 3 wheels, steered towards that drop off and kept it shinny side up.  Hit a huge bump and the CB radio I had zip tied to the roll bar fell and hit me in the head.  My seat rail didn't engage very well so if I was on a steep angle, it would disengage and I would slide all the way to the back seat. This turned out to be problematic when we got to a big rock, all of a sudden I could barely reach the peddles!  I was teased that a stock explorer did just fine up it.  One of the guys with us was awesome and pointed out a better line, I jammed my cooler behind the seat and made it out.  We wheeled all day with no breakfast or lunch. When we got back, JayZR2 called us animals as we devoured the buffet.  We had plans to go to  Northfield that night for a party. I think I was asleep at 7pm.   The combination of 4 hours sleep and sawing away with no power steering killed me.  

The next year it lived in a girls garage and I couldn't really wrench on it.  Took it to all wheel in Lewiston, I was genuinely startled to see a full blown rock crawler behind me.  Thing had monster truck tires and cruised over stuff I was banging over.  I went through a big hole at the bottom of big daddy, water washed over the hood.  Needed a new air filter when we were done.  Watched my buddy try a hill climb, his POS samurai needed a few brake pumps to stop and he didn't pump in time, hit a tree, denting up a pristine tin top.  We both got pulled over in Freeport on our way home, both let go with warnings neither of us had inspection stickers.  White privilege I guess.  

The next year I decided I needed a different engine and bought 1 off of NEOW (rhymes with burnt valves)  It took me 14 months to complete the swap only to find the new engine was running on 2 or 3 cylinders.  I bought a new head and took it to the honest engine. They were miffed that I assumed it needed a new head without proper diagnostics first.  I assured them I did a pressure test, I just couldn't remember which cylinders were bad.   I watched as Jay did an excellent job opening it up and throwing in a new water pump, replacing the head, he even swapped out a thermostat housing bolt for 1 of the proper length! Mine was an inch too long and had a million washers from the PO.   

So now I'm 35, there aren't that many really real wheeling trails to go to.  I think it is time to convert it closer to stock so I can cruise around town in it.  

My plan:

Go from stock springs SPOA to YJ's SPUA

Swap out the welded 3rd for an open 1, might as well do bearings and seals now right?

Weld in new steel in the wheel arches

Finally install the power steering I got off of Clay 5 years ago.  

Weld in some patches on the rusty parts of the tub.  

Add the oil pressure gauge I bought 2 years ago.  

Samurai.jpg

I initially thought the tow bar was a stinger.

Now im thinking you should put a hitch ball on the roof of the civic and be the only guy who flat tows gooseneck style. 

i like the wheels.  are they cj renegades from the early 70s?

13 hours ago, wally said:

i like the wheels.  are they cj renegades from the early 70s?

I think they were Fords. Flatfender has them now, I loved them but was never really happy with the swampers, running some winterforce snows at the moment.