Sign in to follow this  
sidriptide

Vortec engine swap ??

so my 99 Tahoe needs an engine.   current 5.7L Vortec has a bottom end knock after all the hoops i jumped thru to get it fixed.

obviously another 5.7L will drop right in, but what if i find a good 5.0L?  aside from having less power,  will the difference in displacement cause issues with the ECM? 

thanks!

If you get a 5.0, get the ECM that goes with it.  That's easiest.  Or I can reprogram it to factory for you, and solve the problem that way.

But you can't run it with 5.7 tables.  It will run, but fuel trim will be miles off.

5.7's are also ten times more common and easy to find.  you'd probably have to work a little harder to find a 5.0.  R engine was in lots and lots of trucks.

GM didn't have a 6.0 in 99.

I know but I can't figure out why anyone would want a 305. Lots of vehicles get newer engines in them

my first goal is to get it running and drivable. i did keep the ECM from my 98 K1500 i junked, so that would help if i need to do that.

i'm really just weighing the options right now.

you mention the 6.0L.. i did toss that idea around, and if i do keep this rig that probably the route i'll take with it. it's a nice rust free truck so i cant junk it. it's a matter of either selling it or keeping it long-term.  jury is still out on that, but in it's current condition it's not worth anything so it needs an engine.

Turnpike has a couple of them for $550ish.  I'd call Brian and have him set one up for you.

It looks like GM did have 6,0 in 99. Who knew?

6.0 L

The Vortec 6000 is a V8 truck engine. Displacement is 5.97 L (364 cu in) from 101.6 mm (4.00") bore and 92 mm (3.622") stroke. It is an iron/aluminum (1999 & 2000 model year engines had cast iron heads) design and produces 300 horsepower (220 kW) to 345 horsepower (257 kW) and 360 lbf·ft (490 N·m) to 380 lbf·ft (520 N·m). The current 2017 year model in the 2500 HD trucks(L96), Sierra and Silverado have Horsepower: 360 hp @ 5,400 rpm and Torque: 380 lb-ft @ 4,200 rpm. The metric to U.S. engine volume calculation is 5.97/.0164 to show 364 CID.

Source

As soon as I typed that, I figured some douche would go look it up and prove me wrong.

Dick.

6.0 is not plug and play in your Tahoe.  It's an LS engine, lots of stuff will be different.  Get a running 5.7 for it, bolt it awn, and run it.

HAHAHA I never knew they made one either. You just got lucky I can't sleep because they are paving next door so all I hear is BEEP BEEP BEEP when they back  up every 2 seconds

14 minutes ago, Juiceman said:

As soon as I typed that, I figured some douche would go look it up and prove me wrong.

Dick.

6.0 is not plug and play in your Tahoe.  It's an LS engine, lots of stuff will be different.  Get a running 5.7 for it, bolt it awn, and run it.

i know it's not plug n play, thats why i'm not looking at it right now.

a used 5.7L will get me on the road. i'd love to do a 6.0L swap but that would only be if i plan to keep it long term. more likely a new 5.7L from a crate though.

Ah, I see where you're going with this.

I do recommend GM engines.  Not Jasper or anything else out there in the world.  GM will be cheaper than Jasper anyway.

Cant win.  

Print credit report and bank statements, send her to the dealer and go do whatever it is you do with all that new found time.  JFN has beaten me by vehicular attrition.  I have exhausted my wifemobile maintenance patience.