Sign in to follow this  
Sprocket

WBDFBOTD - The Rhinestone Cowboy

He very discretely recorded guitar parts in probably hundreds of songs from the 60's that you'd recognize.  Beach Boys, Frank Sinatra, Elvis, Roger Miller, on and on.  He was a remarkable session guitar player before he got his own name in lights.

Also famously was the spokesperson for my old boss at Coulter Cadillac in Phoenix.  He did the TV and radio ads for years, being a notorious Phoenix resident.

I listened to his guitar work a lot yesterday, he could really let her have it.

Yeah, my mom was in love with him in the 70s. Always had a stack of vinyl on the record player.

One of my favorite quotes “I ain’t dead yet, you old bushwhacker,”

Talented man - may he rest in peace.

I can remember watching his tv show when I was a kid. He could play with the best of them. The show I remember most is when Mason Williams debuted Classical Gas with a full orchestra.

TJ    6

I can remember watching him as a breakout on Ed Sullivan or one of those shows with my grandfather. Yeah mom and all the aunties got all moist when Glen or Tom Jones were doing a holiday special 

As a session musician, he was part of what became known as the Wrecking Crew. In 1963 it is said that he played on 567 published tracks.