10 members have voted

1. 1. What T-case would you run?

• NP205
    • D300
    • NP241
    • Sell a kidney and buy an Atlas
    • FOP
    • Other

I need some input on what transfer case to run in my Scrambler. The Jeep is going to be a moderate wheeler that goes good down the highway (well for a CJ). I'll be running 35"s and currently have 4.10 gears. The current drivetrain is Vortec 350/4L60e with advanced adapters  tail housing and 32 spline output.

I'd love to go atlas but don't want to drop 3K+ right now and really want to get this Jeep on the road. I was going to put a D300 behind it but I'd need to upgraded the output. Another option is a NP205. Good case but heavy and higher gearing then the D300. NP241 might work but it's chain driven and probably weaker.

Am I missing an option that would work? Any input is welcome.

Edited by NHScrambler

Find a built D300 from someone about to buy an Atlas. You'll regret not running a split case.

Id start with a $100 d300.  35s and a torque convertor wont be too harsh on it. Just no rock bouncing.  Atlas when it grenades. 

Np241 are pretty good if you can find one.  D300 for meow.

You have a few options I feel.

1: What do you want to run? If its an Atlas (or whatever else is out there for aftermarket cases) then save up and buy it (or buy it and then reimburse yourself). No point in investing money you will never get back into something just to get you on the road/trail a X amount of time sooner. The "X amount of time" in this option is a huge variable though. 

2: To get on the road/trail now, only do/get what you need and save for what you want. 

3: Come to the realization that you'll probably never drop the money on an Atlas so then get a case that is strong that has good aftermarket support for upgrades. Install the case so you can get on the road/trail and upgrade in the off seasons.  

If I had a project like this, I'd be going with option 3 because that's what's most realistic in my life. 

15 minutes ago, jeeping1974 said:

You have a few options I feel.

1: What do you want to run? If its an Atlas (or whatever else is out there for aftermarket cases) then save up and buy it (or buy it and then reimburse yourself). No point in investing money you will never get back into something just to get you on the road/trail a X amount of time sooner. The "X amount of time" in this option is a huge variable though. 

2: To get on the road/trail now, only do/get what you need and save for what you want. 

3: Come to the realization that you'll probably never drop the money on an Atlas so then get a case that is strong that has good aftermarket support for upgrades. Install the case so you can get on the road/trail and upgrade in the off seasons.  

If I had a project like this, I'd be going with option 3 because that's what's most realistic in my life. 

I'm probably at #3 also.

i really have a hard time stomaching the price tag of an atlas. Wheeling is my hobby not my life. If I had a big old stack of hundreds just sitting there begging to be spent I would still have a really hard time justifying spending that much money on a t-case.

I guess this is confirming what I had originally planned. I have a D300 so there is no investment there. I have a twin stick setup. The JB conversations HD rear output is $450. I guess that is not bad for a decent set up.

The LoMax kit is another $650.

$1100 is 1/3 the price of an atlas.

Thing is, you don't even need all that with a D300 in that rig.  I'd say put whatever fits in and motivates the rig.

I am doing an NP241 in the Willy's Wagon, behind a 4L60 and an LS2. It will be more than enough for 35's on 4.10's.

Edited by grendel

24 minutes ago, grendel said:

Thing is, you don't even need all that with a D300 in that rig. 

At the moment I don't but I want to build a pretty bulletproof rig. Something I can drive long distances, wheel pretty hard and drive back home when I'm done.

This is going to be my retirement rig. I have dreams of driving it cross country. I'm sure it will progress past where it is now and I want to overbuild it so to speak.

So far my 231 hasn't failed me, but I have a spare one under the workbench along with a twin sticked D300. With 4.88 gears I don't feel like I need a 4:1 tcase yet, but leaving options open. I like the idea of upgrading as I go along rather than a big chunk of change in one shot.

31 minutes ago, NHScrambler said:

This is going to be my retirement rig. 

Then you have plenty of time to blow too much money on it later.  Put your 300 in and go joyride.

1 hour ago, calvynandhobbs said:

So far my 231 hasn't failed me, but I have a spare one under the workbench along with a twin sticked D300. With 4.88 gears I don't feel like I need a 4:1 tcase yet, but leaving options open. I like the idea of upgrading as I go along rather than a big chunk of change in one shot.

Put those 37 s on and you'll want 4:1

Vega has been running a 300 in his rig with 39" stickys and a small block for a while now with little to no issues..And wheeling pretty hardcore although he is not a throttle jockey....

An NP241 is by far stronger than a Dana 300.  Just saying.

41 minutes ago, HEEPJEEP said:

An NP241 is by far stronger than a Dana 300.  Just saying.

Can the front and rear be split?

Yesh.

I wonder if they could be flipped with pump mods?  I have a JK NP241 with aftermarket flange/yoke you could try if you wanted.