Sign in to follow this  
wetskier2000

Tenants mowing!

$100 a month break on the rent to keep the lawn mowed began in Oct 2016. 2 mowings this spring and decide they don't want to mow any longer. Ok, not a big deal, I'll hire it out but you owe me 800 bucks (9 months @ 100 minus 2 $50 mows) and the rent increases by the 100 bucks immediately.  There's nothing in the lease that says we owe these back charges. You're right but there is also nothing in the lease about not fulfilling your obligation to mow. 

I think we'll find some common ground, they've been mostly very good tenants. But they sure as hell got another thing coming if they think I'll settle for paying 400 dollars to have someone mow my fawking lawn. Stay tuned.

agree. there's nothing in the lease that says you'll keep the grass low enough for them to see over it.  if we're going to play that "there's nothing in the lease" game.

i'd raise the rent by the $100, and also not have the lawn mowed.  that seems equitable.

I honestly thought this was just going to be a picture of some chick mowing the lawn in her bathing suit....

22 minutes ago, 79fordgirl said:

I honestly thought this was just going to be a picture of some chick mowing the lawn in her bathing suit....

Its never that here,  even if it looks like it will be, it isn't. 

How big is the lawn? 

I see it this way. If they mow the lawn, great, less work for you or you don't have to hire it out. If they don't want to, then fine- but the house is still under your name and essentially your reputation. I would mow it at no additional charge (unless they want specific gardens, etc-that would be all them and their expense). However, if they mow it, I wouldnt take any money off either. I consider lawn mowing a part of home owners responsibility. (unless otherwise agreed upon) 

I think you need to just such this one up. Maybe for the next tenants have this type of thing on the lease and spelled out and charge more right from the get go.

Why would they be getting $100 off per month to mow the lawn in the winter?  That wasn't right from the start.  When I was a tenant I always mowed the lawn at no charge.

23 minutes ago, Orangeamc13 said:

Why would they be getting $100 off per month to mow the lawn in the winter?  That wasn't right from the start.  When I was a tenant I always mowed the lawn at no charge.

I meant to ask that too.

My son has that deal at his new place. As well as any improvements they want to do to the property the owner will pay for and give them a break on rent. Once a week they are out there mowing and they have already built an awesome fire pit.

it's in the lease that they mow. But no, there is no provision for ignoring it.. Why is it 100 bucks off, cuz it's 1.25 acres and cost me 60 bucks a wack to have it mowed. That times 3 or 4 times a month comes out about even... I can't simply let it grow, it's a two family and the tenant downstairs deserves a nice, tick-free yard for their young man despite the thoughts of the mowers upstairs.

If they don't come around on the money, their rent will not only go up immediately by the 100 bucks but also substantially when their lease is up Sept 30th. Their rent is VERY reasonable compared to the market.

I plow the driveway, but have no desire to mow another lawn.

I mow both lawns at my rentals, but the one is talking about mowing himself. I told him that was fine, but rent price doesn't change. I do it so I can keep an eye on the houses.