Sign in to follow this  
heavysquad

Mobile tool storage

What are people using when they go wheeling, or to a pick and pull etc? 

I've been using a bag and it seems like the tool I need is always on the bottom so usually there are a million tools strewn around the back seat of my car. 

I just moved from the bag to a craftsmen box with 3 drawers. It weighs a ton, I'm worried about rust. 

I once saw a box at Lowe's that was plastic and had some sort of rust inhibitor in it to prevent tools from rusting. Seemed kind of gimicky. Anyone had any luck with these? 

I used to go with a hammer, one of my Ryobi EJ100, vise grips, flat bars, screw drivers, stake pliers, few other odds and ends.  Was in a small metal old school tool box.  Pretty much the same but I sold both the EJ100's off and regret it...  Was always a mess in the box, but got the job done and I could carry it...

Im allergic to wheeling but for almost a decade being a maintenance man in a 50 acre plant the big canvas husky luggage style roller bag did well.  I put on hundreds of miles with it before the outside pockets tore from screwdriver and needle nose, just jam in some cardboard.  Use to wham it down staircases too, good bag.sometimes weighed a hundred lbs easy coming back from a big job with everything at once.

If it was a looong haul id put the bag on a hand truck sometimes.  At the junkyard i used a wheel barrow alot.

I carry a Craftsman mechanic plastic toolbox with the basics that I can slide behind the rear seat and then I have a couple  cheap HF plastic ammo cans for little things that I tie down. 

lol

i get the canvas tool bags for "free" quite often from the tool guys.  i have probably a half dozen floating around, when i need to pack some tools, i toss what i need into one of those and just take it.  wheeling.  road service.  even flew to tampa with a bag full of fluke meters and wiring terminals and other tools. 

they just seem to be less invasive than a hard tool box with drawers and lids and all that.  it's going to get all screwed up anyway in transit, keep it barebones and easy to move.

I tend to do that with the cordless tool duffel bags.  Another thing i use alot is the rectangular milk crates.  Well, when i had a garage but the toolboxes stayed in it and the work was 70ft away.  One trip at a time ya grab a socket rack and then a few more things.

When its time to pack up in a hurry to dodge some rain or get the kid.. Jam it all into crate and plop it in front of toolbox to either bring back out to the job later or put away in the main boxes.

That's what I use a roll cart for in the shop.  It catches everything while I am working, then I push it back over to the toolbox and put the shiit away.  Maybe.

I'll do so when theres concrete to roll across.

Since my tools doubled when i quit sw i now have enough to fill a shop and service truck that i dont have.  The IH always has a goose ball and 5th wheel rails on back.  My thinking is ill weld up a forkloadable pin on service bed that my torches, generator, vice and duplicate tools can all live on.   Bobcat or orange fork can shuffle it around, and i can still use any of the bumper or pintle trailers. 

A someday plan.  Maybe a huge drop on gangbox type setup would be even better.  Chain it up at the job, come back next day and get started.

Edited by mike_belben

I also used to drive into the yards, but I always saw people, loaders, etc. with flats.  I decided I didn't like that option with prices of getting towed and/or tires....

Oh hell no.  So much tire jewelry. 

I walk the road to the fuel tanks and pick nails before i drive in.  And thats it.