SKEETER

Lh6 or LQ9

Finally got engine pulled from my 06 Saab 97x (trailblazer).  Bought it cheap with very loud rod hammering with 100k on it.  Currently has early edition all alluminum gen 4 lh6 5.3 with 24x reluctor.  #1 rod only had 1/4" x 2" ultra thin piece of bearing left, rest of the chunks are in the pick up. Anyway I will need to either rebuild this motor and delete the displacement on demand or for around the same money I found a salvage yard 05 LQ9 gen3 out of Escalade with warrantee and 115k.  It weighs 100lbs more but should be a bolt in with 24x reluctor. This is not a race truck but the extra 30-50hp would make me smile. 

What would NEOW do?

I'd totally put the Escalade engine in it.  My recollection is that it's rated at 365hp or so.

I can get you a good deal on an 05 Escalade with LQ9 and just give up on the other rig...

But he's about to have the only Saab with a Cadillac engine in it!

39 minutes ago, Juiceman said:

Hell yeah!

Park that next to the only SSR with a Corvette engine in it.  We'll start an online club!

1 hour ago, Juiceman said:

Sorta true.  The 97x areo had the 6.0 LS2 in it just like the Trailblazer SS.  LS2 is better than the LQ9.

1 hour ago, HEEPJEEP said:

I can get you a good deal on an 05 Escalade with LQ9 and just give up on the other rig...

Thanks but I think everyone is missing the point.  I bought this really nice 92,000 mile 97x for $1200 with rapping motor.  Originally was going to swap in LM7 I have on the engine stand and give it to my daughter for college car.  Cheap enough with my free labor.  I've now decided to let her use my 05 trailblazer wit 175k on it and keep the other.  Also after research I discovered this was all aluminum with DoD and the LM7 would require a few mods to work and end up with less power stock.  The LH6 Dod delete with cam is $500-800 plus with spun rod bearing I'll need crank turning and rods redone along with the normal cam bearings etc.  Figure best case I'm into it for $1500 with gaskets, Dod delete, and machine work-probably more like $2k.  If I do it the LH6 will basically be rebuilt and good for 200k however I think the lq9 would be quicker to drop in, more power and I have to tune the ECM anyway.

Of course I'm not counting my labor otherwise it wouldn't make sense.  Wrenching now is more like therapy for my day job.  I can only stare at a computer screen so long before I head to the barn/garage.  The perks of working from home.

LQ9. We have had a few customers at the shop swap out those variable engines. Had one in a few weeks ago with collapsed lifters, I believe he was trading it in after.

If it wasn't for the spun rod bearing I'd have done the delete but the amount of chunks will most likely require full on rebuild. Pulling the motor blows. Looks like I'll have to drill and tap a couple holes on the lq9 block for the gen4 knock sensors as the gen 3 valley knocks won't work. And extend th cam sensor wiring. At least my early lh6 is 24x. 

Pulled the heads and removed the pistons.  4 of the 8 rod bearings spun.  Crank rod journals have some unique wear.  Not sure anything less than an angle grinder could even it out-most likely junk crank.

The original LQ9 was sold before I could get it.  I'm concerned about fuel mileage with either the lq4 or lq9.  Everyone seems to be getting sub 14mpg.  Much heavier vehicles than a trailblazer but something I hadn't considered.

If the bearings spun, it's a safe assumption that the crank is junk and the rods are oversized/OOR.

Crank kit, resize and hone rods.  $$$

Machine shop still hasn't looked at the block etc and didn't find what I wanted for LQ9.  So yesterday I bought a L33 all aluminum 5.3 gen 3 out of 06 silverado 1500 extended cab. Same HP as my LH6 and same weight and almost same mileage as my vehicle with warrantee out of salvage yard. Time to strip it down and transfer the oil pan, front timing assembly etc on to it,  at $900 for the complete drop out motor minus acc I saved several hundred over lq4 or lq6 and it was only hour away in case I have warrantee issue.