mike_belben

The Bro-bcat

Noticing many Belbenesque properties out here in cow town. One complete with classic Brocat.

20 hours ago, mike_belben said:

Maybe if i chop a baby open

so.  that's how it is down in TN.

26 minutes ago, Juiceman said:

so.  that's how it is down in TN.

That's what I read.

Looking like the almost $300 brandy new pertronix flame thrower distributor i bought for may have STB.  3 million people swear by it, mine will be the one that dies just because. 

My other one is packed in who knows what state and thanks to formula ford these are unobtainium. 

TJ    6

I think those run a fits all pertronix ? Hall sensor and basically that all that goes wrong with them look into it.

I bought the entire distributor over winter because my other two had fully shot bushings and couldnt maintain a point gap.  

NO ONE can get me that distributor on exchange because racing has consumed them globally.  I coulda sent it for rebuild on a 2 week turnaround but i never knew whered id be in 2 weeks, ya know?  Pertronix casts their own so i just went with that figuring id never have to deal with burnt points again. 

I have to pull it and do some metering to be 100% sure the module has stopped switching.  Just whining.  I bet its $5.00 worth of bushings screwing my life up, and the newfangled $300 fix is failing to be a solution.  Just the way of the world, throw away the simple thing for lack of wanting to maintain it, then buy into a more expensive problem.   Life just treats me better when i stay antiquated, cheap and simple.  If i try to climb out of that box expensive stuff goes wrong. 

Got the troubleshooting procedure from tech support, ignitor kaput comrade. 

Still under warranty, they wanted me to pay to return it, i said i want a shipping label and they sent it so ill give them that.  We shall see if they refund or replace or tell me to gfy.

Meanwhile i found my motorcraft breaker distributor in ludlow mass last trip and brought it down.   The two piece rotor was siezed up so that the rpm advance couldnt work.  Just kinda halfass overhauled.. Shined up and greased the ol shaft.  New condensor and breaker plate.  Grease took up a hair of slack.  Bushings are legit unobtainable for it.  Will have to make em some day. 

So the moral of the story is that if you need a bobcat, buy two. 

So i went back to a breaker point distributor and with new breaker plate, condensor, wires and correct timing its running pretty reliably, hasnt needed any ignition maintenance in a few hours of run time.  

I have a leak on the main valve block i havent been able to pinpoint yet due to its buried location.  Pulled out the main relief valve and took it apart, found a metal chip that i was hoping would cure my low pressure but it didnt.  Probably either the crossleak, the charge pump or both, but i cant be without the machine right now. 

I put some snow chains on the front tires today.. Helped alot with traction in the soft spots.