Papa Ken

The "un, err now authorized" MJ build...

I see this thing sitting in the driveway for most of the winter and I constantly have to talk myself out of putting it up for sales because I don’t use it nearly as much as I want.  Then, I hop in it and take it for a drive and fall in love with it all over again...minus the mouse piss smell.  As I am pretty much done on Shannons TJ, I think i am going to be build this a little more than originally planned.  

With that being said, I am going to drop in the 5.0/4r70w, build some home brew 609 axles front and rear, and do the ‘97 and up nose, doors, and interior upgrade. I acquired some H2 rims and will slap some 35-37” rubber on them when the time comes.

It probably won’t start for another month or two as I really need to clean out and organize my garage before I start this in ernest.   When the time comes, I may start a new thread so it isn’t clogged up with a bunch of XJ stuff for the first bunch of pages.

Heh, come and get that long arm kit back for it ;)

29 minutes ago, grendel said:

Heh, come and get that long arm kit back for it ;)

Thanks, but I have a Clayton 3 link kit for an XJ sitting in my garage ready to weld on.  

Why build custom axles that take forever to build when you can buy bolt ins for similar price?  Hell, new style Dana 44's you wouldn't ever break with 37's.  Around $3500 for a front, bolt in, selectable locker, chromos, warranty...  I love pushing building axles, but it rarely makes sense anymore...  Just saying, do some shopping/research/comparisons and you might be surprised...  Even with my dealer costs on the builder parts I have changed my thought process...

1 hour ago, HEEPJEEP said:

Why build custom axles that take forever to build when you can buy bolt ins for similar price?  Hell, new style Dana 44's you wouldn't ever break with 37's.  Around $3500 for a front, bolt in, selectable locker, chromos, warranty...  I love pushing building axles, but it rarely makes sense anymore...  Just saying, do some shopping/research/comparisons and you might be surprised...  Even with my dealer costs on the builder parts I have changed my thought process...

Writing a check for a complete axle is not in the cards, and quite frankly I can’t justify that.  I have the donor axles (kingpin 60 front, two ford 9” housings, and a ford 60 rear) and the means to machine what I need to make them fit together.  I am going to try and put them at widths that use factory length shafts...still not entirely sure this will work but that is the goal. 

Looks like I am going to grab the 97 and up interior stuff, plus some of the wiring so I can have power windows in this little truck.  I already have the 97+ doors, hood, fenders, header w/lights, is there anything else I am going to need to make this swap happen?  

Does anyone have any good links for this swap?  I have to try and find some of the ones I had before, in particular where to cut the firewall for the newer pedal assy and steering column.  

There are some builds on comancheclub.com that have the 97+ interior and pedals and such. I haven’t looked at them in some time because I parted with the 2 92 MJ’s I had.

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:58 AM, Papa Ken said:

Writing a check for a complete axle is not in the cards, and quite frankly I can’t justify that.  I have the donor axles (kingpin 60 front, two ford 9” housings, and a ford 60 rear) and the means to machine what I need to make them fit together.  I am going to try and put them at widths that use factory length shafts...still not entirely sure this will work but that is the goal. 

Seriously.  Add up what you could sell your parts for, and the amount of money it will take in other parts to build them (shafts, u-joints, third member, install kits, locker, gears, king pin rebuilds, wheel bearings, brakes, wheels/tires for lug pattern change, figuring out inner seals, brackets, cleaning/painting, etc.).  Plus, how much time and date you figure you could have them installed.  I ran a special a few months back on Dana 44 fronts:  Currie housing with 3" tubes, .375" thick, thick cover, ARB locker, chromoly shafts, any gear ratio (stronger JK R&P), solid pinion spacer, any yoke, Synergy ball joints, Currie Johnny Joint uppers, 3/16" brackets, massive inner C forgings, 10 year warranty on everything and 15 year on the shafts/u-joints, etc. for around $3200 shipped.  I am one for building my own junk yard axles, but I could go work at a gas station part time for a third job and be worlds ahead...  I have run spread sheets for a lot of customers and for myself and it's easy to justify once you have the real numbers.  Even with the "easy" weld on truss kits for make one tons bolt in a JK, it's still the same price to just buy a crate axle (and it only takes a few hours to bolt in VS weeks/months of building for most DIY people).  It's worth the 30 minutes to sit down, price things out, add them up, and compare.

And like Preach said.  KISS.  And one "phase" or change at a time.