Papa Ken

The "un, err now authorized" MJ build...

It's been about fifteen years since I have been into XJs. I guess that is what rotted out and borken unibodies will do to you after awhile. I have been searching for a third vehicle to build as a toy for me and Lucas. After a couple of third gen f-bodies and an S-10 blazer, I ended up buying this 2001 XJ off of preach and Megan last summer after Shannon told me not to buy anymore vehicles for awhile. It didn't go over well when she found out...

So, it has the typical XJ issues, like not all the power windows work from their respective doors, death wobble, the wipers didn't want to work, the rear wipers/washer/defroster doesn't work and the rockers were toasted.

I have fixed the windshield wipers and washer pump, fixed the death wobble, and am starting to get on with the building up of it.

This is going to be the XJ I should have built fifteen years ago but I was too interested in big lifts and tires (yes, I rocked the thornturds :flip: ) and less interested in unibody strengthening and making sure it would last more that a season or two. The plan is going to be to solidify the unibody, mild lift, lots of tasteful fender trimming and some 35s.

This week I am chopping out the rotted out rockers and replacing them with 2x6 rectangle tube.

image.jpg

Edited by Papa Ken

I opted to cut the rockers out to the highest point I could to gain the most ground clearance.

image.jpg

I was able to chop about 2" off the bottom of the doors. I still need to cap the bottom of the doors, but I will wait until I have the other side done tomorrow before I do it.

image.jpg

I also plan of doing the Durango box swap this week and getting the rear accessories working again. Future plans will be some RuffStuff stiffeners, about 4.5" of lift, Clayton 3 link front, some 33-35" tires, a hybrid cage, and some better axles. Not sure exactly which way I am going yet on those, but it will be either some dana 60s or ford 9s front and rear. I want to keep it somewhat light to give the unibody a chance to survive.

Kp 60 front, and a isu d69 rear, the isu have disks and factory ff 32 spline shafts and 35 spline shafts for e/o having to bore the axle like normal d60's

609's!

D60s is a bit overkill for 33-35s.

But they have gotten cost effective to build. It really doesn't make sense to build D44's any more.

I also plan of doing the Durango box swap this week and getting the rear accessories working again. Future plans will be some RuffStuff stiffeners, about 4.5" of lift, Clayton 3 link front, some 33-35" tires, a hybrid cage, and some better axles. Not sure exactly which way I am going yet on those, but it will be either some dana 60s or ford 9s front and rear. I want to keep it somewhat light to give the unibody a chance to survive.

Do you still want my rear end?

Do you still want my rear end?

Ten posts and it's like the Marine Corps Ball.

Marines still have balls, right?

Edited by Gonzo

60s give you the option to go bigger later on..... assuming the subframe/ body can handle it.

It's about the same cost going with 44s as it is 60s now a days. Only added cost to the 60 would be shaving it to get close to 44 ground clearance (worth it IMO for long term builds). Or spend the money on a hybrid and don't sell them as you'll never come close to recovering the cost. Only true difference is weight but is anyone really worried about that with how/what we wheel/web wheel (minus those who compete)?

Edited by jeeping1974