Sign in to follow this  
FGZ

FGZ's 1985 4Runner: web wheeling at its finest

Tonight I tried starting it with the fuel pump jumped. It fired right up but then stayed in the "misfire" mode that it normally snaps out of once I rev it past 2500. "Misfire mode" (my term) can be noted by shaky motor and no power. All spark plug wires were firmly in place at the cap and plugs - new wires, cap, plugs with maybe 2 months of use on them. I took it up and down the street and the lack of power felt like what I was getting years ago when the intake boot wasn't tight, so I went looking for intake leaks. Found 1 - PCV hose  - fixed it. Still no power and shaky. I also have a pretty high idle, might need to check the idle screw o-ring.

I got a CEL on first start up but didn't read it before disconnecting the battery later. Gotta read that next time.

Also for next time, unplug one plug at a time to figure out which cylinder it is so I can go check the injector plugs. And check idle screw o-ring.

I forgot to check timing, so that's also on the list of next steps. Timing reference: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/index.shtml#TimingCheckConnector

And a buddy suggested I check the temp at each exhaust manifold port to see if there is a dead cylinder. I don't have one of those nifty "LASER" thermometers so I'll have to opt for water spray sizzle.

Timing was retarded after the rebuild, at like 0deg. Adjusted to a little over 5deg and it maybe helped a little but it's still shaking a lot, something else going on. The idle adjust screw o-ring might be acting up, tapping on housing around it makes idle jump around. So either that o-ring or the TPS is messing up. But the TPS did the right thing when I jumped the diagnostic port - idle dropped like it's supposed to.

Inspection tomorrow at 8am then I'll be back at this roughness issue to see what I can figure out.

It's been pretty merciful to me in that regard, I mean to start right up after *I* do a head gasket job is pretty gracious. The fact that it doesn't run RIGHT is pretty on par with my junk though.

Got inspected this morning. Drove there and back on very low power but on the way home it started bucking every once in a while, like the extra cylinder (or 2) was kicking in.

You adjusted the valves?

2 hours ago, HEEPJEEP said:

You adjusted the valves?

yes, I set them to .006/.008 cold after reinstalling the head. The reconditioned head came with a reground cam, so I assumed I would be starting over on valve settings. The guy I got the head from is a big 22RE nut and confirmed the 6/8 cold settings. The FSM says to warm it up and then adjust them to something like .008/.012.

I see the FSM also tells me after the HG to warm it up then re-torque the HG bolts, so maybe I'll go back in and do that and re-check the valves while I'm at it.

Current status: starts up fine, so that issue is not rearing its head currently. Today it started and ran smooth. For half a block it ran with full power, then started to cut down to 2 or 3 cylinders with the power loss and shakey - kept doing that off and on for the drive around the block.

I took the idle control screw apart and cleaned it up the other day, maybe that helped. I'll replace the o-ring, didn't look very good.

After going for a spin I drained the oil, looked decent and no water that I could tell so hopefully I'm cleaning out that sludge OK and didn't leave any water behind to wipe my bottom end.