Sign in to follow this  
smokinsilverrt

diesel trucks pros and cons

ok im looking at new to me diesel trucks. i like my gasser but gonna be getting a gooseneck hauling 2 rigs so time to be a man.i like the cummins best.i know every truck has issues dodge autos blow,dmax has rod and piston issues for certain years powerstrokes 6.0 have the egr tube issue im looking to stay under 16k i see lots of 6.0l ps trucks in that range with 100k-160k.lets hear your stories and real life experience.no my 6.0l gasser is a monster and your a yumyum stories fwiw im prob getting a crewcab short bed,ideally id get a megacab dually stick shift but im not rich so ill sacrifice.

Diesels tow the best

Diesels will typically run for longer than gas engines between overhauls, but the truck will fall apart before that.

Diesels cost the most to maintain

Dont buy into the lie that diesels hold their resale value better the gas models

How many miles will you really tow the trailer per year?

I think that for anything less than a commercial use the diesel is a waste of money.

Diesels tow the best

Diesels will typically run for longer than gas engines between overhauls, but the truck will fall apart before that.

Diesels cost the most to maintain

Dont buy into the lie that diesels hold their resale value better the gas models

How many miles will you really tow the trailer per year?

I think that for anything less than a commercial use the diesel is a waste of money.

well i plan on a trip or 2 out west in a year or so and to pa and nc.also the wheeling season towing 2 rigs to ossipee,hancock and other places 12 or so times a year.im always towing stuff for people i pull my trailer atleast 2-3 times a month easily.my gasser is great and takes the beatings and has done me no wrong but time to retire it for driving duties only and get a dedicated tow rig.i wanna see a gasser haul a 28 or so foot gooseneck with two one ton jeeps on it and get better than 1mpg

i would say its dodge automatic trans owners that such. they need the right fluid, they need the throttle valve cable kept in adjustment, and they need a driver who doesnt hold the lockup switch on at 1100rpm to show his friends how much coal he can roll and still pull that skidsteer up mt washington with his 800hp diesel. the chrysler A500 based trans family decides how much line pressure based on rpm and throttle position via the governor and the throttle valve. you gotta let the trans rev so itll have enough line pressure. a shift kit helps them live longer too.

go with longest gears you can find unless you plan on 35-37" rubber. if its sluggish just turn it up a little, cheaper and easier than correcting wrong gears. im biased to 12valves, dont really know what id choose in the current rigs. if youre in mass, stay under 10k gvw if you can, dually will cost you a fortune in fees, forever.

I still don;t buy the diesels cost more to maintain.. as far as consumables

Diesel- air fuel and oil filters plus oil (yes there is alot more oil but again thats it)

Gas - the same plus, plugs, wires, O2 its a wash

i always here about when they gel or injectors ... well gassers have their own injector issues as well as far more fuel pump failures and ignition failures

now if you need someone else to do it for you the diesel shop will take you fro a ride unless you have a good buddy

the cost is so much the same it comes down to you don't want a diesel for a DD its just not built for it and you don't want a gassser for a dedicated tow rig your pocket can't afford either

and consider a second/transfer tank for the long haul duty. there are a lot fewer diesel pumps vs gas and sometimes you gotta go pretty far not to get highway gouged. its nice to be holding 60-100 gallons and having the option to pass a ripoff station and wait for fair priced fuel whenever it turns up.

im with supazuk on maintenance cost, hasnt been bad at all. no timing belt concerns, no cats or oxygen sensors, hell no muffler isnt a big deal. oil and filters. keepin the rockers and balljoints inspectable is the hard part.

Edited by mike_belben

im not sure if i finance i have to go newer if i pay cash im at my own mercy to chose i love the 12v.im not a huge ford fan but after seeing peoples dmax poop the bed im shying away from something that could die at 200k.

I love mine for the power, the economy, and the easy tunability with electronic-controls.

As other say, upkeep is a wash.

But the one drawback for a truck that is used for daily-driver duty in short trips in the winter is the poorer cold-weather driveability. If you're only towing with it, not a problem; but if you have to use it to drive 5 minutes away to get a gallon of milk, and it's 18' outside and you forgot to plug in the block-heater, that's not going to be a pleasant trip...

Oh, and if you're looking for reliable and affordable, I can endorse the 7.3L Powerstroke. But get one from where trucks don't rust; a flight to Texas may be cheaper than the rust-repair on one from around here...

Edited by BobBarry

I love mine for the power, the economy, and the easy tunability with electronic-controls.

As other say, upkeep is a wash.

But the one drawback for a truck that is used for daily-driver duty in short trips in the winter is the poorer cold-weather driveability. If you're only towing with it, not a problem; but if you have to use it to drive 5 minutes away to get a gallon of milk, and it's 18' outside and you forgot to plug in the block-heater, that's not going to be a pleasant trip...

Oh, and if you're looking for reliable and affordable, I can endorse the 7.3L Powerstroke. But get one from where trucks don't rust; a flight to Texas may be cheaper than the rust-repair on one from around here...

luckily my buddy buys and sells diesels locally but buys from mainly texas and southern states.but im def not afraid to travel for what i want.i do like the 7.3l i heard the 6.0 trannys are much tougher and will last longer.im not worried about dd a diesel i hope to also have a fuel efficent car to travel to work etc.mainly to keep miles off the truck

agree on short winter trips, i literally own the jeep because my commute is 1.5 miles. i could walk home before the defrosters work in the dodge. same for the jetta tdi. the dodge takes 11miles before the coolant is up to temp so i can switch onto grease. if youve got a similar situation, consider a cheap econo commuter as a sidekick to the diesel for the diesels sake. lots of short trips = lots of starts and diesel starters are spendy. you arent jumping a dead diesel with a miata either. group 27 batteries x 2.

i will say that ive never had to plug in on the 12v. they use a super awesome grid heater (think toaster) instead of glowplugs. zero degrees in the 3rd shift parking lot all night, still starts every time. ive plugged it in only to get a headstart on defrosters and veggie switchover.

edit- was typing when you posted about the car.

Edited by mike_belben

I've gotten my 7.3 to start at 5' w/o the block-heater after sitting for a week (a couple cycles of the glow-plugs helps), but I let it warm up for about 5-10 minutes before actually trying to drive it. With the block-heater, though, it'll drive off in a minute with no problem. My block-heater tends to die mid-winter, though, which is no fun...

my old work i was the only person allowed to drive our rack truck ford f800 had a reman 12v cummins that thing was a beast sat for weeks at a time never plugged in always started right up.just seems like dodge price is much higher than ford i can get a newer lower mile 6.0 vs a older 5.9 cummins.my situation with my truck left a bad taste in my mouth for gms.trucks about paid off and already replaced the bed and pretty much needs ner body panels from rott ,im very good at keeping underneath clean i lay on the ground and wash all the doo-dee out,also just found its gonna need a frame sooner than later.mechanically its a monster 6.0 lq9,4l65e,and the quadsteer all things i love just pissed i paid it off and its pretty much trash at 130k on it.i have read some reason the 1500s some rott super fast and i got one.so not sure what way the truck will go i may part it all out,sell it as parts,put the drivetrain in something older like a 78 chevy .

TJ    6

I'm a Ford Diesel work truck guy for 20 years, that being said if I was to buy a tow rig it would be #1 a Duramax Allison, or #2 a Dodge 04-06 stick. Towing 2 rig I personally would only go with a dually, 4X4 is an option that you need to decide on.

There have been many write ups here. But first, if you get a diesel you will not want to go back to a gasser. I have a Duramax Allison combo. Awsome power and the strength of the Allison behind it. Comfortable ride with the Chevy. Ford..... well if you are thinking of ford either go with the 7.3 you won't get the power but is very reliabe or newer one. Stay away from the 6.0 period. Dodge Cummins is a proven engine earlier ones were a little loud but hey, its a diesel. Any year is good for cummins. Until they get a better tranny behind them I'm so so on the Dodge. Pro's of diesel, Power power power. MPG towing. The MPG myth of getting 25 MPG does not apply in new england. too many hills. For some reason up at the Cape (Cape Cod) it seams to be flat. If im cruising at 55mph unloaded I see about 22-23 mpg. Up here in the Hills of CT I see avg. 16mpg. If I have my 30' Gooseneck trailer hooked up with my 1 ton jeep 16mpg. Don't seem to change much. Maintenance is like one said above. Diesel More oil , more filters. Thats about it. Newer diesels need clean fuel. Gassers have the whole plugs, wires, coils . more frequent oil changes vs. diesel. less mpg less power and won't last as long at least as a tow vehicle. A gasser properly maintained and not worked can last a very long time. Good luck