Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mike_belben

2017 Garden Thread

171 posts in this topic

Things be growing now..

I gotta do one more transplant, realign, and round out plantings and it's time for fabric.  

Need to start thinking about mulch and weed control soon. 

Don't really care cause I leave it all for dead in august when I hit the west coast.

Heirlooms are loving the chicken shiat.

20170625_171926.jpg

20170624_154553.jpg

20170625_172000.jpg

Never had luck with the hipster tomatoes. there's a reason they're not grown much any more.

Opened up another 20'X30' plot for the crazy garden lady this morning should have just put the whole 1/4 acre under it would have been easier

flowers on the spud plants.  early this year.

This past week things really popped.

Thinking my 5' bamboo poles for the tomatoes are going to be too small... those things are shooting up. 

Harvested all my flowering spinnach yesterday and got... a sandwich bag full of cooked spinach to freeze and add to soup this winter. :blankblink:

Going to harvest all of my overgrown arugula this week too and make a pesto to freeze. Then plant more greens for eating in a few more weeks. 

Gonna have a lot of kale on my hands soon too. 

Think I made a mistake with going with the white rain barrel vs. blue. Getting a lot of algae/funk in the barrel (too much light let in?). So far plants don't seem to care so I am not too worried. 

Compared to nearby gardens i see here, mine is very stunted and slow growing.  The native soil needs a lot of ammendments tilled in that i havent got the time or money to mess with for this year.  The good news is that the experiment is showing me whats best for this dirt to double up on next year.

Gonna need to make a lotta compost over winter and come up with a tiller.