Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JesseA

Desperate times and Desperate Measures

25 posts in this topic

Last year I managed to shove a trailer ramp though one of my swampers resulting in a 2x3 irregular angle iron shaped injury at the outside of the sidewall near the tread. I took it to a friends drinking buddy who does vulcanizing on stupid big non dot tires and he flat out said he wouldnt touch it.

I wasnt interested in buying a new swamper for almost what I had in the other three.

So, I went with the last viable option, cut a chunk of sidewall out of a junk tire, and bolt it to the injury and put a tube in it.

Carriage bolts, and fenderwashers inside, locknuts on the outside and bolts cut down to one thread showing until theyre pummeled flat.

100_0399_zps376d174b.jpg

100_0400_zpsa796d648.jpg

Seems to be holding just fine.

Holy sh!t man!! Candidate for There I fixed it dot com!!!

:up:

in the future, grainger sells agricultural boots, industrial rubber epoxy etc. the shelf life is short so its best if you have a collection of junky tires to fix all at once.

i have a 42 with a chainsaw slice clean through, 1/4" by 3" and tubed from some redneck dipsh1t "grooving" them. the tube is actually visible from outside. im hoping a large boot and adhesive will fix that up.

I totally blanked on the agricultural boot. But I made one out of an old skidder tube. I think that its carrying 4psi (Might be 6) so Im not extremely worried about abrasion in there.

I found some DIY vulcanizing stuff at Gemplers but the guy that told me he wouldnt work on the thing said that the injury was in a high flex area, and that 'nothing would hold' and I was running out of patience at that point.

This happened last spring, and one summer night a few weeks after the repair had been made I took it out into the rocks, got stuck and summarily noticed this odd RPM based scratching noise. It was the bolts scraping on rocks.

gemplers is the other place i was trying to think of. heard a lot of good about them from one old timer in particular.

I have had ever section of a tire vulcanized with "good enough" results.

Should have kept going with the ice spikes. :maine:

Really though, that is a beautiful thing. :wub:

Should've fixed it Tim Cameron style. I think there are better videos of how he does it.

Edited by dollarfab

I have bad luck with tires I guess. Caught a SF shaft stud with the DS front on my pickup. Was digging for a radial patch and some cold vulcanizing goop on Gemplers.

Gemplers; Rema Tip Top Cold Vulcanizing Fluid
Cannot be sold or shipped to Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, Washington D.C. Canada or International.

Well damn. Isnt that just craptastical.

I guess that I will see if those donkeys over at Maine Commercial Tire can help me this time.

and you thought gun control was bad. fawkin liberals and their tire patch crusade.

So most if not all of you have seen the PSA. I fixed it.

So swampers are expensive, and this one still had plenty of tread on it. I had nothing to lose. So my part time boss/drinking buddy and I cut a nice big slab of 10.00 20 sidewall and commenced.

No sense in trying to hide it, someone will surely find this in the real world and put it in the Hack thread on Pirate. Like the other this one also was tubed with a second junk tube used as a sacrificial layer over the patch.

So far its survived 4hours of woods time which has included about 2 hours of dragging logs across our hunting trails while giggling uncontrollably and generally driving it like I was a rich punk with dads beemer.

0823131648a_237800_zps9756f0bf.jpg

0823132009a_191975_zps2bc3588c.jpg

Something about hillbillies and banjos?

Man best I've done is patch a sidewall with 3 rope plugs and a blow torch. I bow before you. :up: